Aug. 21, 2009
It was a pleasant and cool day for the University of Notre Dame football team’s final preseason training camp workout open to the und.com cameras. The team will host a student appreciation night on Sunday to cap the training camp schedule, then begin preparations for Nevada on Tuesday, Aug. 25.
The big news out of the program today was the first opportunity to interview the freshmen class. Following the tradition of the Coach Weis era, freshmen are available one time during the preseason, then will not be interviewed again unless they are front line players.
We gathered a ton of content today – including the entire interview session with highly touted freshmen linebacker Manti Te’o. First up though, is our practice report, which focused on the rookie defensive class today…
You can’t ignore that Manti Te’o is one of the most highly anticipated players to take the field from the Irish freshmen class, and he was impressive in the media session on Friday…
The interview session lasted 20 minutes, you can download the podcast now to listen to the entire Q&A on your mobile devices.
We took the best soundbites out of all the freshmen interviews on Friday and put them together in one video file for fans to get an overall idea of the new Irish players….
You can also watch each full interview right now, including an extended and entertaining interview session with freshman running back Cierre Wood…
Time constraints did not allow us to catch every single freshmen available today, but you will be able to see them all in our practice report from today (link at top of page) and on Tuesday, when we focus on the offensive players.
Next week’s football coverage is not completely established yet, but we do know that practice will be open for 40-45 minutes on Tuesday, Aug. 25. Coach Weis will also recap training camp in an important media session on Monday, Aug. 24, which will clear up many of the depth chart questions the media has asked about over the past few weeks. The team is off Saturday, practice is closed to the media on Sunday and the squad is scheduled for team meetings (no practice) on Monday.
If you are just joining us for our daily updates, here is a complete list of links that will take you to the previous updates we have released in August…
Remember, you can follow all the und.com video coverage by signing up for our Twitter feed. We send out ‘Tweets’ each time we post new content on und.com. You can also follow us on Facebook – just search “und.com” in your Facebook search engine.
- Day 12 (Coach Weis talks about the freshmen, practice report focused on quarterbacks)
- Day 11 (Defensive player interviews, Practice Report focused on defensive backs)
- Day 10 (A. Allen, G. Tate, T. Robinson Interviews, Practice Report focused on linebackers)
- Day Nine (Coach Weis Media Session, Team Captains and Leadership Committee with a focus on the Running Backs during practice)
- Day Eight (Open Practice)
- Day Seven (Practice Report focused on RB, Coach Weis media session)
- Day Six (Coach Polian – Practice Report focused on DL)
- Day Five (Practice Report – Irish Watch List Players, Player Interviews)
- Day Four (Practice Report, Coach Weis)
- Day Three (Practice Report, Player Interviews)
- Day Two (Practice Report, Player Interviews)
- Day One (Coach Weis Presser, Asst. Coach Interviews)