July 27, 2016
The University of Notre Dame rowing team, still celebrating the selection of almuna Amanda Polk to to the U.S. Olympic Team, received more good news this week when one current and two former Fighting Irish rowers earned spots on the U.S. Rowing Team that will compete at the World Rowing Championships, Aug. 21-28, in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Rising sophomore Molly Pierce earned a spot on the Under-23 National Team and will compete as a member of the lightweight quadruple sculls. Molly Bruggeman, a 2014 Notre Dame graduate and three-time All-American for the Irish, was named to the Senior National Team as part of the women’s four boat.
Kaity (Kaitlin) Jackson, a 2008 Notre Dame graduate who competed for four years with the Irish on the water, also was named to the support staff of the national teams that will be attending the World Rowing Championships. Jackson earned a doctorate from the University of Pittsburgh in Physical Therapy in 2011 and will be one of three PT specialists traveling with the teams to The Netherlands.
The 2016 World Rowing Championships will be unique this year in that the senior, junior and under-23 events will be held simultaneously for the first time at the Willem-Alexanderbaan Regatta Venue in Rotterdam, The Netherlands.
Molly Pierce Information –
– Earned two victories, one over #11 Michigan and another over #20 Louisville, at the Oak Ridge Cardinal Invitational in the third varsity four during the 2015-16 season.
– Finished the year as a member of the third varsity eight, placing fourth in the Grand Final at the ACC Championships.
– Father, Jim and mother, Kelly, were both U.S. national team rowers.
– Plans to pursue a degree in chemical engineering.
Molly Bruggeman Information –
– Competed at the 2013 World Rowing Under-23 Championships in Linz-Ottensheim, Austria, becoming the first Notre Dame rower to earn three consecutive invitations to the U.S. Under-23 selection camp.
– A three-time All-American for the Irish (2012, 2013, 2014).
– Helped earn Notre Dame’s first ACC Crew of the Week award on April 29, 2014.
– Won the BIG EAST Championship in 2013 as a member of the varsity eight.
– Led the Irish to three straight NCAA Championship appearances in her final three years on the roster.
– Was the eighth member of her family to attend Notre Dame.
– Graduated with a degree in pre-professional studies and anthropology.
Kaitlin Jackson Information –
– Competed for the Irish all four years on campus, working toward a degree in pre-professional studies.
– Spent time in both the varsity four and varsity eight during her junior and senior seasons.
– Named to the BIG EAST Academic All-Star team in 2008.