NOTRE DAME, Indiana — The University of Notre Dame women’s soccer team is back on campus and opening up its home ACC slate Thursday night when the Pitt Panthers travel to Alumni Stadium. Coming off a narrow 1-0 road defeat to No. 10 Clemson, the Irish look to get back on track against the Panthers.
Know the Opponent: Pitt Panthers
- Notre Dame returns to Alumni Stadium to kick off their home ACC slate against Pitt.
- The Irish are 14-0-1 all-time against the Panthers and are 8-0 at Alumni Stadium.
- Pitt is one of four opponents (St. John’s, Syracuse, Providence) that the Irish have played 10 or more times and have not lost to.
- Last season, the Irish defeated Pitt 2-0 on Oct. 21 on the road. Sammi Fisher tallied her second brace of her career and Mattie Interian recorded her second shutout of the season.
- Notre Dame knocked off Pitt 4-0 in their last trip to Alumni Stadium in Sept. 25, 2016. The Irish scored all four goals against the Panthers in the first half.
- The Irish currently have a four-plus game shutout streak against the Panthers. They have not allowed a goal since the second half of a 2-1 win on Sept. 21, 2012, a span of 364:39 of game time.
- Earlier this season, the Irish had a shutout streak of just over four games. They did not allow a goal over 366:54 minutes of game time.
- Pitt enters the matchup 3-4-2 on the season and 0-0-1 in ACC play after a draw last week on the road against Syracuse.
- Pitt is under the second year of former Irish head coach Randy Waldrum. Waldrum spent 12 years at Notre Dame, won two College Cups (2004, 2010) and guided the Irish to eight NCAA Final Four games during that span.
Irish Facts and Figures
- Thursday’s game against Pitt begins a stretch of four of the next five games that will be at Alumni Stadium.
- the Irish are 3-1 so far at home and have outscored opponents 11-3 in those games.Nine different players have scored so far this season through the first seven games. Only eight different players scored during the entire 2018 campaign.
- The Irish have a trio of players that have tallied a brace so far this season. Eva Hurm and Luisa Delgado scored twice against Northwestern and Autumn Smithers scored both goals against Western Michigan.
- Eva Hurm and Luisa Delgado both lead the team with three goals on the season.
- Delgado leads the team with nine points, followed by Hurm and Sammi Fisher with seven each. She has started all but one game this season after missing the entire 2018 season due to injury.