Sept. 28, 2017
By Joanne Norell
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The eighth-ranked University of Notre Dame hockey program will kick off the 2017-18 season Sunday with a home exhibition contest, hosting the U.S. National Team Development Program at the Compton Family Ice Arena.
It is Notre Dame’s second consecutive exhibition opener against USNTDP, and the third straight season in which the Irish will face off against the program. Last season, the Irish built a 3-0 lead in the first period on two goals by Jordan Gross and another by Dylan Malmquist en route to a 5-1 victory. The Irish were 3-for-9 on the power play, while holding USNTDP to 0-for-8.
Matchup: U.S. National Team Development Program at Notre Dame
Date: Sunday, Oct. 1, 2017
Time: 5:05 p.m. ET
Site: Notre Dame, Ind.
Arena: Compton Family Ice Arena
Live Streaming: WatchND
Live Radio | Audio: WZOC 94.3 FM | WatchND
Play-by-Play: Darin Pritchett
Live Updates: @NDHockey
Head coach Jeff Jackson was one of the masterminds behind the U.S. National Team Development Program as he laid out the plan for what would become the USNTDP while interviewing with USA Hockey.
Jackson then served as the first head coach of the USNTDP from 1996-2000. In addition to the Jackson connection, 36 Notre Dame hockey players have come through the U.S. National Team Development Program, including current players Dawson Cook, Matt Hellickson, Dylan St. Cyr and Joe Wegwerth.
Associate coach Andy Slaggert’s son and Notre Dame signee Graham Slaggert, played forward for the USNTDP team last season.
Current USNDTP assistant coach Mason Graddock spent the 2015-16 season with the Notre Dame staff as a program intern.
Notes To Know
- Senior defenseman Jordan Gross has skated in 119 consecutive games to start his Irish career, the third-longest active consecutive games played streak in the country.
- Senior captain Jake Evans has 64 career assists, the third-highest total in the country among returning players to start the 2017-18 season.
- The Irish debuted at No. 8 in both the USCHO.com and USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine preseason polls.
- Head coach Jeff Jackson begins his 13th season behind the Notre Dame bench. He has led the Irish to eight NCAA tournament appearances and three Frozen Fours
- Seven freshmen have joined the Irish for the 2017-18 season, many of whom will make their debuts against the USNTDP.
- Defensemen Dennis Gilbert and Jordan Gross were named to the 2017-18 College Hockey News Preseason All-CHN Teams. Gilbert was a first-team selection, while Gross earned a second-team nod.
The Irish will open the regular season on next weekend when they welcome Alabama-Huntsville for a two-game series Oct. 6-7 at the Compton Family Ice Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:35 p.m. ET Friday and 7:05 p.m. ET Saturday. Both games will stream on the NBC Sports App and NBCSports.com.
— ND —
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame men’s tennis, women’s tennis and fencing programs, in addition to overseeing production of the football Gameday Magazine. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University and earned her master’s degree from Georgetown University in 2013.