2019-20 Men's Basketball Roster
#10 Temple 'T.J.' Gibbs
Hometown Scotch Plains, NJ
High School Seton Hall Prep
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2018 Notre Dame ‘Empty The Tank’ Awardwinner
- 2017-18 ACC Player of the Week (Jan. 8, 2018)
- 2016-17 All-ACC Academic Team
- 2017 ACC Academic Honor Roll
- 2017 Notre Dame Newcomer of the Year
- Finished ninth in the country in minutes played per game from major conference players with a 36.1 average. Gibbs played all forty minutes in a game six times in 2018-19. He finished the season fourth in the ACC in minutes played per game (36.09).
- Finished third in the ACC in assist/turnover ratio (2.95) and 23rd in scoring (13.4).
- Ended the season with a 21-point effort against Louisville (3/13/19) in the ACC second round – his third 20-point game of the season.
- Led the Irish with 18 points and three steals against Virginia Tech (2/23/19).
- Connected on his first six field goal attempts against Wake Forest (2/19/19), eventually finishing with a season-high 23 points on 8-of-12 shooting while playing all 40 minutes.
- Scored the first 10 points of the game for Notre Dame at No. 4/4 Virginia (2/16/19), leading the team with 17 points and three assists.
- Posted his best ACC performance of the regular season in the victory over Georgia Tech (2/10/19) with a game-high 20 points, shooting 8-of-9 from the free throw line with five assists and four steals.
- Scored his 1,000th point and flashed a return to form at Boston College (2/2/19) with 19 points on seven-of-11 shooting, two rebounds, two assists and two steals. Becomes the 63rd Notre Dame player to score 1,000 points in his career.
- Fell ill during warm ups of the game with Boston College (1/12/19) and missed his first game due to injury or illness at Notre Dame (ending an 87-game run).
- Matched his career-high for three-point field goals made in a single game against Syracuse (1/5/19) scoring 18 points on six three pointers (6-for-13) with five assists.
- Kept the Irish in striking distance against No. 10/10 Virginia Tech (1/1/19) with 16 of his team-high 19 points in the second half of the eventual conference-opening loss (1/1/19). Shot 4-for-8 from the field, 3-for-7 from three-point range with three assists in the second 20 minutes.
- Posted the most efficient game of the season against Jacksonville (12/20/18) with 18 points on 11 shots and shooting 4-of-7 from three-point range.
- Continued to show signs of a returning shooting stroke against Oklahoma (12/4/18), scoring 18 points and connecting on 4-of-7 from behind the arc.
- Played all 40 minutes of the victory over Illinois (11/27/18), scoring a season-high 19 points with four assists.
- Broke out of an early-season shooting slump in the second half against DePaul (11/24/18), scoring 15 of his 18 points, going five-for-10 from the field and two-for-five from 3FG.
- Keyed Notre Dame’s victory over William & Mary with 18 points and a career-high nine free throws. Made several key plays in the second half of the win, including back-to-back plays in the back court (foul drawn, steal) – the second leading to his first career dunk in game action.
- Finished the season with 1,348 minutes played, the third-most in school history and 10th-most in the NCAA for 2017-18. His 704 minutes played in ACC games is the second-most in school history.
- Finished the season with 552 points, the ninth-best single-season total for a sophomore in Notre Dame history.
- Posted perhaps his finest game in an Irish uniform against Boston College (2/6/18), scoring a career-best 28 points with five three-point field goals (shooting 8-for-11 from the field), five rebounds and three assists.
- Continued to play big minutes, logging 38 or more minutes for the eighth straight game at Duke, leading the team with 22 points.
- Went all 40 minutes with 27 points, five assists and five three pointers in the regular season contest against Virginia Tech (1/27/18) – including a half court shot to end the first half.
- Played 38 minutes at No. 20/18 Clemson (1/20/18), scoring 18 points with four rebounds and two assists.
- Played a career-high 48 minutes in the double overtime loss to Louisville (1/16/18), finishing with 12 points and two steals.
- Scored 19 points with six assists and five rebounds in the battle vs. North Carolina (1/13/18).
- Earned first ACC Player of the Week award on Monday, January 8, 2018 after leading the Irish to a 2-0 week in the ACC with wins over NC State and at Syracuse, averaging 20.0 ppg, 5.5 rpg and 4.5 apg.
- Carried the Irish through a tough-shooting first half at Syracuse, finishing the first 20 minutes 5-of-10 from the floor with 14 points and three rebounds. The effort kept the Irish in the game, as the rest of the team would finish 1-19 from the floor in the eventual 51-49 victory.
- His two free throws with 2:25 remaining gave Notre Dame its first lead of the game at Syracuse since the Irish were up 1-0 in the early minutes of the contest.
- Stepped up in the victory over NC State (1/3/18), with both Bonzie Colson and Matt Farrell sidelined with injuries, to score 22 points with career-best seven rebounds while shooting seven-of-eight from the free throw line.
- Broke out for 21 points in the victory at Delaware (12/9/17), shooting four-of-seven from three-point range in 38 minutes.
- The key scorer in Notre Dame’s victory over LSU (11/21/17) in the Maui Invitational, scoring 26 points with six three pointers and four assists.
- Led the Irish to a season-opening victory at DePaul (11/11/17) with 21 points on 7-of-11 shooting, four three-point field goals and zero turnovers in 38 minutes of action.
- Made his first career start vs. No. 14/15 Florida State (2/11/17), logging 21 minutes, five points, two assists and four rebounds.
- Came off the bench to score 12 points, including 2-for-2 from three-point range against No. 21/21 Duke (1/30/17).
- Played 25 minutes, scoring 12 points (first back-to-back double-digit scoring games of his career) at No. 10/12 Florida State (1/18/17), shooting four-of-five from the field with two three pointers.
- Played a key role in the road victory at Pittsburgh (12/31/16) – his first career ACC game – stepping up in the second half off the bench to tie the game at 49-49 with a three pointer (13:32 remaining). Also deflected a handful of passes at the top of the 2-3 zone, allowing the Irish to get key defensive stops.
- Made his first career appearance in an Irish uniform in the season-opening victory over Bryant (11/12/16), playing 18 minutes, scoring his first career field goal, free throw, assist and steal against the Bulldogs.
- Full name is Temple Dupree Gibbs Junior.
- Son of Temple and Jacqui Gibbs along with older brothers Ashton and Sterling.
- Father, Temple, played football at Temple University.
- Brother, Ashton, played basketball at the University of Pittsburgh and currently plays for Kangoeroes Basket Mechelen in the Belgium Basketball League.
- Brother, Sterling, played basketball at Texas, Seton Hall and Connecticut and was a member of the Washington Wizards NBA Summer League team in 2016. He played professionally in Russia and in the Hungary A League in 2017-18.
- One of the few freshman players of the Brey era to take on 18 hours in first semester at Notre Dame and finish with a GPA over 3.0.
- Enrolled in the College of Arts and Letters with a major in film, television and theatre.