2020-21 Baseball Roster
#11 Tommy Vail
Hometown Seattle, WA
High School Bishop Blanchet
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2020 NCBWA Stopper of the Year Watch List
- 2019 ACC Pitcher of the Week (April 22)
JUNIOR SEASON (2020)*
- Made seven appearances out of the bullpen during the abbreviated season.
- Finished the season with a 3-0 record and 2.08 ERA through 17.1 innings pitched with 24 strikeouts, just three walks and a .086 opponent batting average.
- Vail finished second in the NCAA in WHIP with 0.46.
- Ranked second in the ACC in hits allowed (5) and opponent batting average (.086).
- Six of his seven appearances were at least 1.0 innings or more.
- Tossed a career high 5.1 innings pitched and nine strikeouts to pick up the win in the 9-2 victory over Toledo.
- Also tossed 5.0 innings pitched and recorded eight strikeouts to earn the win in the 8-5 victory over North Carolina.
- Picked up his third win of the year after 1.1 innings of relief in the 9-8 win over Radford.
*Season suspended after 13 games due to COVID-19
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2019)
- Made 25 appearances and two starts during his sophomore campaign.
- Led the Irish relievers with 44 innings pitched, 61 strikeouts and six saves while tying for the team lead with a .157 opposing batting average.
- Named ACC Pitcher of the Week after going 1-0 with one save against Northwestern and Pitt.
- He tossed 7.2 innings, allowed just one hit and struck out 11 over three appearances.
- Set a career high with five innings pitched in the home win over Northwestern (4/16).
- Had two three inning plus saves on the road against Charleston Southern (3/2) and No. 29 Georgia Tech (3/29).
- Set a career high twice with seven strikeouts against No. 29 Georgia Tech (3/29) and Canisius (5/11-2).
- Had nine appearances with four or more strikeouts and 13 multi-inning appearances.
- Played summer ball with the Harwich Mariners in the Cape Cod League.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2018)
- Made 27 appearances on the year.
- Led all Irish pitchers in ERA (3.90) and opponent batting average against (.231).
- Earned 3 wins (3-2) record overall, tied for the second-most on the team.
- Made his first career start against Boston College, working 3.0 innings and striking out six.
- Earned his first career win when the Irish walked off versus Purdue.
- Earned three varsity letters in baseball and three in golf from Bishop Blanchet
- Named Second Team All-Metro Outfielder and Pitcher in 2016-17
- Named a Rawlings Perfect Game Honorable Mention All-American and All-West Region First Team in 2017 as a member of the Seattle Select Showcase
- Rated as the top left-handed pitcher and No. 2 overall prospect in the state of Washington by Perfect Game
- Born in Seattle, Wash.
- Son of Lendy and Tom Vail
- Has two siblings, Michael and Eleanor
- Uncles Fritz and Michael Duda attended Notre Dame
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business