2019-20 Baseball Roster
#25 Eric Gilgenbach
Weight 207 lbs.
Class Graduate Student
Hometown Rochester Hills, MI
High School Stoney Creek
HONORS & AWARDS
- Team Captain (2019)
- ACC All-Academic Team (2017)
- Four-time ACC Academic Honor Roll (2016-19)
- Atlantic Coast Conference Co-Player of the Week (Feb. 19, 2018)
- Collegiate Baseball National Player of the Week (2018)
- Third Team All-ACC (2018)
GRADUATE STUDENT SEASON (2020)*
- Played in 11 games and made seven starts during the abbreviated season.
- Finished the year with a .370 average, nine runs, 10 hits, 10 RBI, two home runs and a team-high .741 slugging percentage.
- Launched his first home run of the season in his first game of the year against UAB on Feb. 15.
- Hit a pinch-hit, three-run home run in the 12-1 win over Incarnate Word at the Alamo Irish Classic.
- Hit the go-ahead bases clearing double in the 10th inning of the 11-8 win over North Carolina to clinch the series.
*Season suspended after 13 games due to COVID-19
SENIOR SEASON (2019)
- Played and started in 53 games in right field for the Irish.
- Eclipsed the 40 RBI mark for the second straight season and hit nine home runs, both good for second on the team.
- Gilgenbach also ranked second on the team with a .428 slugging percentage.
- He recorded his third career multi-home run game against Ball State (3/3).
- Eclipsed the 100 career hit mark against No. 7 Louisville (5/5).
- Tied a career high with 30 runs on the year and was one shy of his career high with 46 hits.
JUNIOR SEASON (2018)
- Led the Irish in home runs (10) and RBIs (45) while slugging .506 on the season, ranking second on the team.
- Named the ACC’s Co-Player of the Week on 2/19/18 after opening the season with four extra-base hits, three homers, five runs scored and nine RBI at No. 9 LSU.
- Selected as one of Collegiate Baseball’s nine National Players of the Week for the week of 2/19/18.
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2017)
- Played in 36 games on the year, starting 14 contests.
- Hit .333, going 17-for-51 with five doubles and three homers.
- Made 12 of his 14 starts in May, with all three home runs coming in the Austin Peay series (one home run in each game of an Irish sweep).
- Went 3-for-5 with two doubles in 13-inning ACC Championship loss to Florida State.
- First career RBI was an eight-inning single to knock in game-winning run in a 5-4 decision over Duke.
FRESHMAN SEASON (2016)
- Did not see the field during rookie season.
- Played for Battle Creek Bombers of Northwoods League during Summer 2016, hitting seven homers with 21 RBI and 21 runs scored in 41 games.
- Earned four varsity letters in both baseball and basketball at Stoney Creek
- Rated the top third baseman in Michigan and No. 7 player overall in the state by Perfect Game
- Slotted as the No. 36 third baseman nationally, also by Perfect Game
- Hit .400 as a senior, along with 10 doubles, three home runs, 27 walks and 25 runs in 32 games
- On the mound, posted a 7-3 record and 2.23 ERA with 60 strikeouts in 59.2 innings
- Selected all-league, all-district and all-region, as well as academic all-district
- Named preseason all-state, High Honorable Mention Preseason Senior High School All-American by Perfect Game entering senior year, and honorable mention Preseason Central Region All-High School Senior
- Produced a .471 average as a junior along with three triples, three home runs, 29 RBI and 27 runs in 39 games
- Added a 3.07 ERA with 40 strikeouts in 45 innings of work on the mound
- Helped team win the last of three consecutive district titles as a junior, earning all-league, all-district, all-region and all-conference honors to go along with second team all-state accolades
- Set school record with 20-game hitting streak
- Earned all-league honors as a sophomore after hitting .300 with four home runs and 30 RBI in 35 games
- Hit .419 as a freshman with five home runs
- Two-time Award of Excellence winner at Stoney Creek, while also named a Scholar of Highest Distinction in 2015
- Born in Rochester Hills, Michigan
- Son of Karl and Kristin Gilgenbach
- Has a sister, Maya
- Three cousins, Eddie (Saint Xavier basketball), Steven (Arkansas-Little Rock baseball) and Beth Ann (Cardinal Stritch basketball) played collegiate sports
- Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business