CAL STATE FULLERTON TITANS
(as of May 25)
Location: Fullerton, Calif.
Colors: Navy, orange and white
President: Dr. Milton A. Gordon (Xavier, La. ’57)
Athletic Director: John Easterbrook (Illinois ’61)
Baseball Administrator: Cliff Hatter, George Aspeitia
|Coach George Horton|
Cal State Fullerton Baseball Team Photo
Head Coach: George Horton (CS Fullerton ’78)
Career Record: 130-52-1 (three seasons)
Record at Fullerton: Same
Assistant Coaches: Dave Serrano (third season, CSUF), Rick Vanderhook (13th season, CSUF), Mike Kirby (eighth season, Long Beach State)
Athletic Trainer for Baseball: Chris Mumaw, Kirk Concepcion
SID: Mel Franks
Baseball SID: Michael Greenlee
Conference: Big West
Home Stadium (Capacity): Titan Field (1,750)
Surface, Dimensions: Grass, 330-385-400-385-330
1998 Record: 47-17
1998 Conference Record, Finish: 25-5, First
1998 Postseason: 3-2 at NCAA South Regional
Position Starters Returning from 1998: 3/6
Pitchers Returning/Lost from 1998: 8/5
Letterwinners Returning/Lost from 1998: 14/16
1999 Record: 44-11
1999 Conference Record, Finish: 25-5, First
1999 Conference Tournament: N.A.
- The Titans are making their 21st appearance in the NCAA baseball championship, all of which have come on the road due to graduation ceremonies during the same weekend. Fullerton is making its eighth straight appearance in the NCAAs (did not qualify in 1991).
- Fullerton, which will be visiting its 13th different regional site, has advanced to the eight-team College World Series nine times, winning the NCAA title in 1979, ’84 and ’95 while finishing as runner-up to Pepperdine in ’92. CSUF also advanced to the CWS in ’75, ’82, ’88, ’90 and ’94.
- The Titans received the No. 3 overall seed in the 64-team NCAA field, after compiling a 44-11 regular-season record.
- Fullerton ranks as the ninth winningest team in NCAA Division I baseball for the decade of the 1990s, with a .712 winning percentage (430-174).
|RHP Adam Johnson|
Fullerton did not put in a bid as a regional host, due to graduation ceremonies this weekend.
- The Titans team stats for the 1999 season include a .345 batting average, 75 home runs, 133 stolen bases, a 4.41 ERA and a .961 fielding percentage.
- Fullerton has faced each of the teams in the South Bend Regional once previously, winning each time: 8-4 vs. Michigan to open the 1984 CWS, 6-3 vs. Creighton in 1990 NCAA regional at Austin, Texas, and 20-3 over Notre Dame in the 1995 early-season Anaheim Classic.
- Fullerton has posted 30-plus wins in the each of the last 25 seasons, including 17 seasons with 40-plus wins.
- Fullerton’s top players include: junior 1B Chris Beck (.415, 7 HR, 70 RBI, 27 SB, 43 BB), junior LF and Big West Player of the Year Spencer Oborn (.412, 14 HR, 79 RBI, 21 SB) and junior 3B Ryan Owens (.363, 18 HR, 67 RBI, 15 SB).
- The Titans’ top pitchers are sophomore RHPs Adam Johnson (3.24, 9-3, 102.2 IP, 127 Ks, 40 BB, 86 H) and Matt Sorenson (4.11, 11-0, 105 IP, 73 Ks, 34 BB, 119 H).
- Oborn had his hitting streak snapped at 37 games on April 17, one shy of the team record set by Brett Mayne in 1988.
- Owens was a teammate of Notre Dame junior SS Brant Ust on the USA Baseball team during the summer of 1998, when Ust and Owens shared time as the USA’s starting third baseman.