EDMONTON, Alberta — University of Notre Dame freshman forward Landon Slaggert and Team USA won the gold medal with a 2-0 victory over Canada at the 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship on Tuesday night in the gold-medal game at Rogers Place.
Team USA advanced to the championship game with a 4-3 win over Finland in Monday’s semifinal. Slaggert skated in all seven games for the U.S.
Slaggert became the first Fighting Irish player to medal at the event since 2018 when current Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Andrew Peeke helped the U.S. secure the bronze in Buffalo in 2018.
Notre Dame’s other World Junior Championship medalists include Anders Bjork (bronze in 2016), Mario Lucia (gold in 2013), Kyle Palmieri (gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011), Kyle Lawson (bronze in 2007) and Ben Simon (silver in 1997). He was the 23rd Notre Dame player to take part in the tournament as well.
Slaggert played in six games for the Irish during the first semester before joining up with Team USA. He registered his first career point with an assist on Nate Clurman’s goal in Notre Dame’s 3-2 win at third-ranked Michigan on Nov. 27. Slaggert’s older brother, Graham, also had an assist on that goal. He then scored his first career goal on Dec. 4 against Arizona State in a 5-4 Fighting Irish victory.
The Landon Slaggert File
Forward | South Bend, Indiana | USNTDP
- Slaggert played for the USNTDP for the past two seasons before joining Notre Dame.
- For the 2019-20 season playing with the U18’s, he skated in all 47 games and scored 13 goals and added 11 assists for 24 points.
- In 19 USHL games, he totaled 10 points on six goals and four assists.
- Also played in the 2020 Biosteel All-American Game where he recorded an assist.
- Helped Team USA win the Five Nations Tournament in Sundsvall, Sweden (November 2019).
- In 2018-19, he skated in 48 games with the U17 team, scoring 10 goals and adding 14 assists for 24 points.
- Also in 2018-19, he skated for Team USA in the U17 Four Nations Tournament (second) and the World U17 Hockey Challenge.
- Before joining the NTDP, Slaggert helped guide the Chicago Mission to the High Performance Major Bantam crown in 2017.
- The South Bend, Indiana, native is the brother of current Notre Dame junior forward Graham Slaggert and son of Irish associate head coach Andy Slaggert.
Next Up For The Irish
- This Fighting Irish hockey team returns from break this weekend with a pair of home contests against Arizona State on January 9-10, 2021.
- Game one will start at 6:30 p.m., while game two is set for a 5 p.m. puck drop at the Compton Family Ice Arena.
- Both games will be broadcast on NHL Network and streaming via the NBC Sports digital platforms.