Nov. 21, 2012
NOTRE DAME, Ind. (AP) – Garrick Sherman scored 18 points to lead Notre Dame past George Washington 65-48 on Wednesday.
It was the second time this season Sherman has come off the bench to lead the team in scoring, as he hit 8 of 10 shots from the field and 2 of 2 from the free-throw line.
Jerian Grant added 13 points for Notre Dame (4-1), which led 32-21 at halftime.
Isaiah Armwood led the Colonials (1-2) with 12 points.
Jack Cooley had only two points in the first half, but scored Notre Dame’s first six points after the break. He hit two short jumpers off feeds into the low post, then took an offensive charge, and capped the run with a jumper from just inside the arc.
Irish point guard Eric Atkins then hit a jumper, finishing off an 8-2 run and extending the Irish lead to 17.
Notre Dame Postgame Notes
– Tonight was the first meeting all-time between Notre Dame and George Washington
– The win improved Notre Dame to 110-52 against teams currently in the Atlantic-10 Conference … tonight’s victory snapped a two-game losing streak to A-10 opponents
– George Washington’s 48 points were the fewest for a Notre Dame opponent since West Virginia scored 44 in a 71-44 Irish victory on Feb. 22, 2012 … it marked the second time this season that Notre Dame held an opponent under 50 points (Evansville 49)
– Notre Dame led 32-21 at halftime … the Irish are 3-0 this season when leading at the intermission
– George Washington’s 21 first-half points matched the fewest for an Irish opponent in any half this season … Evansville also had 21 points in the first half (Nov. 10)
– The Fighting Irish held George Washington to just 26.5% (9-34) from the field in the first half … that was the lowest shooting percentage for an Irish opponent in any half this season
– Eric Atkins (Jr./G), Pat Connaughton (So./G), Jack Cooley (Sr./F), Jerian Grant (Jr./G) and Scott Martin (GS/G) started tonight’s contest … it marked the 20th straight game that quintet has started for the Fighting Irish … the Irish are 15-5 with that starting lineup over the past two seasons
– Notre Dame is 103-7 in its last 110 home games and 38-1 in the last 39 home contests … the Irish have won nine straight home games
– The Irish improved to 43-0 at home in the month of November under head coach Mike Brey … as a program, Notre Dame has won 46 straight games in November
– A Jerian Grant three-pointer in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 447
Eric Atkins (Jr./G)
– Had six points, nine assists, seven rebounds and three steals
Jerian Grant (Jr./G)
– Scored in double-figures (13 points) for the third straight game (currently a team-best streak) and for the fourth time this season … he has 30 career double-digit scoring efforts
Garrick Sherman (Sr./C)
– Netted a game-high 18 points … it was his second double-digit scoring effort of the season and the third of his career