1987-88 Men's Basketball Roster
#4 DAVID RIVERS
Hometown Jersey City, NJ
High School St. Anthony's
- Inducted into the Purcell Pavilion Ring of Honor on January 21, 2017.
- Sixth-leading all-time scorer at Notre Dame, ed the Irish to four consecutive NCAA tournament appearances from 1984-88 while scoring 2,058 points and handing out 586 assists.
- Arrival on campus prompted a move to an up-tempo attack for the Irish during his four seasons, where he dazzled Irish fans with his ability to score in the open floor, shoot from long distance and make behind-the-back passes look routine.
- Selected as the 25th overall selection in the first round of the 1988 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Lakers.
- Played for the Lakers and Los Angeles Clippers during his NBA career before moving to Europe and developing into one of the most noteworthy American players to ever compete in the Euroleague.
- As a member of Olympiacos in Greece, was named the 1997 Euroleague Final Four MVP when his squad became the first Greek team to win the Euroleague Championship.
- Served as a team captain during his sophomore, junior and senior seasons, will forever be remembered for his amazing recovery from a life-threatening automobile accident before his junior season at Notre Dame.
- On August 24, 1986, he was thrown from the passenger seat of a van that swerved to avoid a drunk driver and suffered a 15-inch gash across his abdomen.
- An emergency surgery at Elkhart General Hospital saved his life and returned to the court just 90 days later to play 34 minutes in Notre Dame’s season-opening game of 1986-87.
- Would go on to lead the team in minutes played that season and earn honorable mention All-America honors.