2020-21 Football Roster
#9 Daelin Hayes
Height 6-3 3/4
Class Graduate Student
Hometown Belleville, MI
High School Skyline
HONORS & AWARDS
- Team Captain
- Freddie Solomon Community Spirit Award Winner
- Jason Witten Collegiate Man of the Year Finalist
- All-ACC Honorable Mention
- Mayo Clinic Comeback Player of the Year Semifinalist
- Gameball recipient: Georgia Tech (10/31)
- Wuerffel Trophy Watch List
- Reese’s Senior Bowl Top 250
- ACC Top Six for Service Award Winner (2019-20)
GRADUATE SEASON (2020)
- Named a team captain
- Started at DL and tallied two tackles and a QB hurry in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12).
- Started and posted one tackle in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19).
- Started and tallied two tackles and a QB hit in the win vs. Florida State (10/10).
- Started and made an impact play with his TFL, reading the screen pass and pinning Louisville’s Javian Hawkins for a loss of six in the fourth quarter, helping to stall a Louisville drive on first-and-20 and preserve the Irish win against Louisville (10/17).
- Started in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24).
- Named ACC Defensive Lineman of the Week and Pro Football Focus Defensive MVP of the Week for a performance in which he started and totaled 2.0 sacks and two forced fumbles in the 31-13 win at Georgia Tech (10/31), both career-high single-game marks for the graduate student. Both forced fumbles came on the sacks. Hayes’ two forced fumbles tie for the most in a single game among all FBS players this season, and he was the only player in the Power 5 to reach the mark over the weekend.
- Started and posted 1.0 sack (-5 yards), 2.0 TFL (-7 yards) in the 47-40 2OT win over then-No. 1 Clemson (11/7); Hayes’ sack came on Clemson’s final possession of 2OT, as he dropped D.J. Uiagalelei for a loss of five yards after the Clemson QB had also been sacked on the play immediately preceding it. His sack forced a third-and-24, and the Tigers were unable to convert on third and fourth down, giving Notre Dame the win.
- Started and posted two tackles, 1.0 TFL (-5 yards) and a fumble recovery in the 45-31 win at Boston College (11/14).
- Started and posted two tickles and a pass breakup in the 31-17 win at No. 19 North Carolina (11/27).
- Started and posted his first-career interception (returned 13 yards) in the 41-25 regular season finale win over Syracuse (12/5).
- Started in the ACC Championship game (12/19).
- Started in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game (1/1/21).
SENIOR SEASON (2019)
- Played in the first four games of the season before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury against Virginia
- Recorded a sack in the season-opener at Louisville
- Had a QB hurry at Georgia
JUNIOR SEASON (2018)
- Appeared in 12 games, missing the Virginia Tech contest (stinger)
- Made 31 total tackles, 5.0 for loss, with two sacks and six QB hurries
- Recovered a fumble in the home finale against Florida State
SOPHOMORE SEASON (2017)
- Played in all 13 games and started 12
- Helped a Notre Dame defense that improved by at least 20 spots in the FBS rankings in third down conversion percentage, interceptions, rushing defense, scoring defense, passing efficiency defense, sacks, tackles for loss and turnovers gained
- Irish were the last team in the FBS to surrender more than 20 points in a game (Irish allowed 20 points or less over each of their first eight games)
- Notre Dame allowed only four plays of 40 yards or longer in 2017—the second-fewest of any team in the FBS
- The Irish allowed only one play of 50 yards or longer in 2017—the second-fewest of any team in the FBS
- Registered 30 tackles, including 17 solo stops
- Fifth on the team, and second among defensive lineman, with 6.5 TFLs
- Tied for second on the team, and second among defensive lineman, with 3.0 sacks
- Collected a TFL in five consecutive games (Miami, Ohio, North Carolina, USC, NC State and Wake Forest)
- Recorded sacks in back-to-back games (North Carolina and USC)
- Recovered fumbles against both Georgia and Michigan State
FRESHMAN SEASON (2016)
- Played in all 12 games
- Recorded 11 tackles, including five unassisted stops and six assisted tackles
- Registered a career-best three tackles (1-2) at NC State (Oct. 8)
- Forced a fumble against the Wolfpack
- Recorded tackles against Nevada (0-1), Michigan State (0-1), Duke (1-0), Syracuse (0-1), Stanford (1-1), Miami (1-0), and Army (1-0)
HIGH SCHOOL AND PERSONAL DATA
- Arrived at Notre Dame as one of the top athletes in the 2016 recruiting class
- Enrolled at Notre Dame and began taking classes in January 2016
- Participated in 2016 spring drills with the Fighting Irish
- Suffered a separated shoulder and missed the majority of his senior season at Skyline High School
- Selected to participate in the 2015 U.S. Army All-American Bowl in San Antonio, Texas (did not play due to injury) and Nike’s 2015 “The Opening” in Beaverton, Oregon
- No. 2-ranked player in Michigan in the preseason by The Detroit News
- No. 223-ranked player nationally and No. 14-ranked outside linebacker on Scout.com 300 list
- No. 230-ranked player in the nation and No. 12-ranked athlete on ESPN 300 list
- No. 107-ranked player in the nation and No. 10-ranked outside linebacker on 247Sports.com Top 247
- No. 21-ranked player in the nation and No. 7-ranked linebacker on Rivals.com 250 list
- No. 31-ranked player on the PrepStar Top 350 Dream Team
- No. 80-ranked player on the Tom Lemming Prep Football Report
- Michigan’s No. 4-ranked player by 247Sports, No. 8-ranked player by Scout, No. 5-ranked player by ESPN and No. 1-ranked player by Rivals
- Played for coach Chanterius Brock at Skyline High School
- Enrolled in College of Arts and Letters, majoring in film, television and theatre