2021-22 Football Roster
#26 Clarence Lewis
Height 5-11 1/2
Hometown Edison, NJ
High School Mater Dei
HONORS & AWARDS
- The Athletic Freshman All-America Second Team
- ACC Defensive Back of the Week: Syracuse (12/5)
FRESHMAN SEASON (2020)
- Saw action in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12).
- Marked his first-career start, posting five tackles, all solo, the second-highest figure on the team and tied for most among Irish DBs, in addition to 1.0 tackle-for-loss (-3 yards) and three pass breakups in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19).
- Lewis led the Irish defense with three pass breakups in the 52-0 shutout of South Florida.
- Notre Dame has the third-best pass defense and pass defense efficiency in the ACC, allowing 32 completions on 66 attempts (97.4 efficiency).
- Lewis’ three PBU this season, all coming this week against South Florida, give him the second-highest season total of passes defended in the ACC, ranking sixth in the conference in average passes defended per game. His game total of three was also the highest value of passes defended in a single game this week in the ACC.
- Posted one tackle in the win vs. Florida State (10/10).
- Posted one tackle in the 12-7 win vs. Louisville (10/17).
- Started in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24).
- Saw action in the 31-13 win at Georgia Tech (10/31).
- Totaled five solo tackles in the 47-40 2OT win over then-No. 1 Clemson (11/7).
- Started and registered two tackles and a pass breakup in the 45-31 win at Boston College (11/14).
- Posted a tackle and a pass breakup in the 31-17 win at No. 19 North Carolina (11/27).
- Named ACC Defensive Back of the Week for his performance in the 41-25 regular season finale win over Syracuse (12/5). Lewis led the Irish with 12 tackles vs. Syracuse, the most by an Irish player in a single game since Julian Love’s 12 vs. USC in 2018. No ACC defensive back had more tackles on the weekend than Lewis’ 12, and of the two DBs who noted 12 tackles, Lewis marked the most solo tackles with 10. He was also the only player in the ACC with 12 or more tackles to note a pass breakup, not to mention a forced fumble. His pass breakup came on third down to force a Syracuse punt.
- Started and totaled four tackles (three solo) and a pass breakup in the ACC Championship game (12/19).
- Started and totaled two solo tackles in the CFP Semifinal at the Rose Bowl Game (1/1/21).
HIGH SCHOOL & PERSONAL DATA
- A three-star recruit by 247Sports, Rivals and ESPN.com
- No. 728 overall player nationally, No. 58 cornerback nationally and No. 17 player from New Jersey by 247Sports.com
- No. 82 cornerback nationally and No. 19 player from New Jersey by Rivals (5.6 Rivals rank)
- No. 89 player regionally, No. 112 cornerback nationally and No. 16 player from New Jersey by ESPN.com (77 Scout Grade)
- Played on both sides of the ball at Mater Dei, posting 39 receptions for 639 total receiving yards (67 yard long) and four touchdowns, also rushing for 44 yards
- On defense, hauled in three interceptions, helping Mater Dei to an appearance in the state championship
- Played for coach Dan Mangiero at Mater Dei