2020-21 Football Roster
#25 Chris Tyree
Height 5-9 1/2
Hometown Chester, VA
High School Thomas Dale
FRESHMAN SEASON (2020)
- DUKE: In his first game action for the Irish, rushed six times for 20 yards, also serving as the kick returner for Notre Dame in the season-opening win vs. Duke (9/12). In the KOR role, he brought back four kicks for 90 total yards, including a 38-yard long.
- SOUTH FLORIDA: Tallied eight rushes for 65 yards (31-yard long) and his first-career touchdown in the 52-0 win vs. South Florida (9/19); also posted one KOR for 14 yards.
- FLORIDA STATE: Posted 11 carries for 103 yards (45-yard long), one TD, two KOR (54 yards), totaling 157 all-purpose yards, in the win vs. Florida State (10/10); the true freshman surpassed the 100-yard mark for the first time in his young career, boosted by a 45-yard touchdown run in the second quarter vs. Florida State. Tyree was responsible for five of Notre Dame’s 15 rushing first downs vs. FSU; Tyree’s performance was the only 100-rushing yard performance by a true freshman in the ACC this week. On the season, only three ACC true freshmen have recorded 100-rushing yard games, including Tyree.
- LOUISVILLE: Seven carries for 32 yards and two receptions for 15 yards in the 12-7 win vs. Louisville (10/17).
- PITTSBURGH: Rushed three times and brought back a kickoff for 17 yards in the 45-3 win at Pitt (10/24).
- GEORGIA TECH: Rushed five times for 47 yards in the 31-13 win at Georgia Tech (10/31).
- CLEMSON: Rushed twice in the 47-40 2OT win over then-No. 1 Clemson (11/7).
- BOSTON COLLEGE: Totaled 17 rushes for 74 yards and four kickoff returns for 84 yards in the 45-31 win at Boston College (11/14).
- NORTH CAROLINA: Recorded two rushes for 16 yards, in addition to an 18-yard kickoff return, in the 31-17 win at No. 19 North Carolina (11/27).
- SYRACUSE: Posted six rushes for 109 yards and a touchdown, including a 94-yard TD, three kickoff returns for 73 yards and one reception for 6 yards in the 41-25 regular season finale win over Syracuse (12/5). Tyree broke for the longest rush of the season among all FBS players with a 94-yard touchdown run. It bested the next-longest run that weekend by 12 yards, and it was the longest run on the weekend among all Power 5 players by 14 yards. Tyree led all ACC freshmen in all-purpose yards on the weekend (188 rushing + receiving + returns) and ranked second among ACC freshmen on the weekend in rushing + receiving yards (115). Tyree’s 188 all-purpose yards were the fifth-most by a true freshman in the FBS on the weekend. He ranked ninth among FBS true freshmen in scrimmage yards (rushing + receiving) for the weekend, and was one of just two players in that Top 10 who also recorded return yards outside of their total scrimmage yards.
- ACC CHAMPIONSHIP: Totaled one rush for 21 yards and a touchdown, adding on a seven-yard reception and two kickoff returns for 37 yards, in the ACC Championship game (12/19).
PREP AND PERSONAL
- A five-star recruit by 247Sports
- Four-star recruit by Rivals and ESPN.com
- No. 25 overall player nationally, No. 1 all-purpose back nationally and No. 1 player from Virginia by 247Sports.com
- No. 20 overall player nationally, No. 5 overall player regionally, No. 3 running back nationally and No. 1 player from Virginia by ESPN.com (87 Scout Grade)
- No. 43 overall player nationally, No. 2 all-purpose back nationally and No. 2 player from Virginia by Rivals
- As a senior in 2019, tallied 71 carries for 655 yards and nine touchdowns in just nine games…Also caught 13 passes for 184 yards (14.2 yards per reception) and two touchdowns
- Under Armour All-American Game Captain and selected to the Polynesian Bowl
- Played for coach Kevin Tucker at Thomas Dale