#26 Abby Sweet
HONORS AND AWARDS:
2020 Team Captain
2020 ACC Player of the Week (Feb. 25)
2019 ACC All-Tournament Team
2019 Preseason All-ACC
2018 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Second Team
2018 Atlantic Coast Conference All-Freshman Team
2018 Atlantic Coast Conference All-Academic Team
2018 Atlantic Coast Conference Academic Honor Roll
AS A JUNIOR (2020)
- Named one of four captains for the Irish.
- Led the ACC as the toughest player in the conference to strike out (68 at-bats to 1 SO).
- Led the team in batting average (.368), runs (18), hits (25), RBI (21), slugging percentage (.603) and on-base percentage (.449) among eligible players.
- Started all five games of the NFCA Leadoff Classic at CF, slapping five hits for five runs, noting a double and a triple (both vs. South Alabama), and six RBI. Sweet also successfully stole a base on her only attempt, and recorded six putouts.
- Batted .364/.533/.727 in four starts at the ACC/Big Ten Challenge with four hits, four RBIs, a home run and five runs scored.
- In six starts at the Mary Nutter Classic, logged a .500/.524/.850 slash line with ten hits, eight RBIs, six runs scored, four doubles, a home run and four stolen bases.
- Started three games at Duke and had three hits, two RBIs and a run scored.
- Had two hits with a double, and RBI and a run scored at NC State.
- Logged a hit, a stolen base and a .667 OBP in the win over UC Santa Barbara.
AS A FRESHMAN (2018):
• Claimed NFCA Mid-Atlantic All-Region Third-Team honors at the conclusion of standout freshman campaign.
• Tabbed to the All-ACC Third Team and the ACC All-Freshman Team.
• Named to the ACC All-Academic Team and the ACC Academic Honor Roll.
• Irish leader with 38 runs scored, 13 doubles, 83 total bases, a .420 on-base percentage and 15 stolen bases.
• Established a Notre Dame program record by being hit by pitch 22 times, shattering the previous mark of 15 set by Cassidy Whidden in 2015.
• Ranked second on the Irish roster with a .333 batting average, .485 slugging percentage and 57 hits.
• Batted .386 (22-for-57) with runners in scoring position, and ranked second on the team with 13 two-out RBI.
• Finished second on the Notre Dame roster with 13 multiple-hit games, and added five multi-RBI contests.
• Enjoyed a team-high 14-game streak of reaching base that spanned from March 4 against Robert Morris until March 28 against Purdue.
• Collected first two career hits in a victory over Saint Mary’s (Feb. 9).
• 2-for-4 with two doubles and a run scored against Fresno State (Feb. 11).
• Went 2-for-3 with a run scored against No. 12 Auburn (Feb. 22).
• Finished a perfect 3-for-3 with two RB, two stolen bases and a run scored in a win over Fordham (March 2).
• Connected on first career home run during a three-hit day, adding a stolen base, an RBI and two runs scored against UC Santa Barbara (March 3).
• 1-for-2 with a stolen base, an RBI and two runs scored in a win over Robert Morris (March 4).
• Ripped two hits and scored twice in a win over NC State (March 10) to open ACC play.
• Knocked in an RBI double as part of two hits with a run scored against North Florida (March 13).
• Scored twice, including the winning run in the top of the sixth inning, to defeat Jacksonville (March 14).
• Drove in two runs and scored an additional run in a game one victory at Louisville (March 16).
• Crossed the plate twice to complete the sweep of the Cardinals (March 18) in the final game of the set.
• Notched two RBI by way of a triple in a midweek win against Eastern Michigan (March 27).
• 2-for-3 with a home run, two RBI and two runs scored to even ACC series at Virginia Tech (March 31).
• Rocked three hits, including a double, and drove in a run against Syracuse (April 8).
• Perfect 3-for-3 with a home run and three RBI in the nightcap of a doubleheader to sweep the Orange (April 8).
• 2-for-3 with a run scored in a nightcap win against Loyola (April 11).
• Scored an insurance run in the bottom of the sixth inning of an upset win over eventual NCAA champion No. 8 Florida State (April 29).
• Clocked two hits and scored a key run to knock off No. 17 Michigan (May 18) to open the NCAA Lexington Regional.
• Scored the opening run of a sixth-inning rally to eliminate the Wolverines from the NCAA tournament two days later (May 20).
PREP AND PERSONAL:
• Ranked 106th in the FloSoftball 2017 Second 100 rankings.
• Four-year softball letterwinner at Hart High School.
• Batted .415 with 12 doubles, five home runs, 29 RBI and 52 runs in only 33 games as a senior – 52 runs and 44 hits were both career-highs, along with 18 extra-base hits and a .544 on-base percentage.
• First team selection to the Los Angeles Daily News all-area squad, as well as all-CIF Division 3 and first team all-Foothill League.
• Named to the Los Angeles Daily News all-area honorable mention team and the CIF academic team after batting .350 as a junior, racking up three home runs, 13 doubles, 27 RBI, a .454 on-base percentage and 39 runs.
• Selected to the Cali-High Sports all-state second team and Foothill League first team during sophomore campaign, turning in a .461 batting average, 13 extra-base hits, 32 RBI, a .534 OBP and 33 runs.
• Claimed Foothill League second team accolades as a freshman by logging a .393 average, seven hits for extra bases, 11 RBI and 25 runs.
• Most recently competed with the So Cal Choppers on the club circuit, and finished in third place as a member of the Choppers at 2016 PGF Nationals.
• Was also part of the victorious Hart U10 Gold squad at 2009 ASA Nationals.
• Has earned high school honor scholar recognition.
• Daughter of Derek and Mary Beth Sweet and has one brother, Dylan, and one sister, Tenley.
• Former So Cal Choppers teammate of Notre Dame pitcher Cait Brooks.
• Enrolled in the Mendoza College of Business.