Jan. 13, 2016
Notre Dame 72 (11-5, 2-2 ACC), Georgia Tech 64 (11-6, 1-3 ACC)
January 13, 2016
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
- All-time series: Georgia Tech leads 7-6
- Notre Dame at home vs. Georgia Tech: 5-2
- First meeting: Feb. 22, 1941, Notre Dame 53, Georgia Tech 42
- Notre Dame is 22-18 in ACC regular-season play after two-plus seasons in the conference.
- Steve Vasturia (Jr./G), Zach Auguste (Sr./F), Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G), V.J. Beachem (Jr./F) AND Matt Ryan (Fr./F) started the contest for Notre Dame. The Irish are 1-0 this season with that starting quintet.
- Three players reached double figures in scoring for the Irish: Auguste (24 points), Jackson (18) and Ryan (10).
- The Irish have not lost back-to-back ACC games (or any contests back-to-back) since the final games of the 2013-14 season (three straight losses to Pittsburgh, North Carolina and Wake Forest in the ACC Tournament).
- During the 2015-16 campaign, Notre Dame has followed up each of its previous setbacks with a victory.
- With a 3-pointer at 16:41 in the opening half, Ryan extended the Irish streak to 563 consecutive games with a three-point field goal.
- The Irish held the Yellow Jackets to 25 percent (9-36) shooting from the field in the first half of the play. The stat is an opponent low for Notre Dame in ACC play.
- With one assist in the first half, Georgia Tech matched a Notre Dame opponent low in ACC play (Miami; 3/12/15) and the Mike Brey era (California; 11/16/10).
- Notre Dame posted 24 rebounds in the first half, which match a program-high in ACC competition (Duke; 1/4/14).
- The Irish were limited to six turnovers in the game. This season, Notre Dame has recorded 10 or fewer turnovers on nine occasions.
- With 43 rebounds against Georgia Tech, the Irish tied their program high total in an ACC matchup. The Irish have registered the mark on four occasions.
- Notre Dame held a 38-32 advantage in points scored in the paint.
- Brey is now 343-170 during his career at Notre Dame and 442-222 overall as a head coach.
- At the helm of the Notre Dame program, Brey owns a 4-2 records over Georgia Tech.
Matt Ryan (Fr./F)
- Ryan (Cortlandt Manor, NY) is the first New York state native to start as a freshman at Notre Dame since Kyle McAlarney (Staten Island, NY) in the 2005-06 season. McAlarney earned his first start vs. Marquette on Jan. 20, 2006. McAlarney played 36 minutes with eight points, four rebounds and four assists.
- Ryan’s teammate Martinas Geben also made his first career start as a freshman vs. Georgia Tech (1/3/14).
- Ryan has registered three double figure scoring games this season. He scored 10 points in his first career start this evening.
- Ryan has secured a 3-point field goal in 14 of 16 games for the Irish.
- Ryan posted a career-high seven rebounds. His previous mark of five rebounds was set vs. Loyola Chicago (12/13/15).
Zach Auguste (Sr./F)
- With a game-high 24 points, Auguste recorded a season high total.
- Auguste has scored in double figures in 13 of 16 games this season. The senior captain has reached double figures in scoring 52 times total during his career.
- The game marked Auguste’s second 20-point outing of the season, as well as the seventh overall for his career.
Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G)
- With a 18 points, Jackson secured the 51st double figure outing of his career. He has reached double figures in 14 of 16 contests this season.
- Jackson’s nine rebounds were a season high.