Jan. 31, 2016
No. 25 Notre Dame 81 (15-6, 6-3 ACC), Wake Forest 62 (10-11, 1-8 ACC)
January 31, 2016
Purcell Pavilion – Notre Dame, IN (9,149 Attendance)
- All-time series: Notre Dame trails 3-2
- Notre Dame vs. Wake Forest at Purcell Pavilion: 2-0
- Notre Dame is 26-19 in ACC regular-season play after two-plus seasons in the conference.
- Steve Vasturia (Jr./G), Zach Auguste (Sr./F), Austin Burgett (Sr./F), V.J. Beachem (Jr./F) and Demetrius Jackson (Sr./G) started the contest for Notre Dame. The Irish are 1-0 with that starting lineup.
- Five players reached double figures for the Irish: Auguste (21 points), Beachem (15), Jackson (14), Burgett (14) and Vasturia (10). The last time Notre Dame had five double-figure scorers was against Boston College (1/23/16).
- With a 3-pointer at 18:37 in the opening half, Burgett extended the Irish streak to 568 consecutive games with a 3-point field goal.
- Notre Dame has won their last 10 “bounce-back” games. The Irish have not lost back-to-back games since the end of the 2013-14 campaign.
- Notre Dame secured 46 points in the first half alone. The total was a program high for points registered in the first half of an ACC contest.
- The Irish led 46-29 after the first half. Notre Dame is 12-2 this season when leading after the first 20-minute stanza.
- Notre Dame players combined for 13 steals in the game, which was a season high. The total was also a program high for the Irish in ACC play.
- Notre Dame forced 18 Wake Forest turnovers. Wake Forest’s total turnovers marked a season-high for the Irish defense, as well as the most for Notre Dame in ACC play.
- The game was Notre Dame’s 10th this season shooting 50 percent or better from the field. The Irish shot 52 percent for the game (31-60).
- The Irish held a 36-28 rebounding advantage over the Demon Deacons. Notre Dame is 13-1 this season when outrebounding its opponent.
- Brey is now 347-171 during his career at Notre Dame and 446-223 overall as a head coach.
- At the helm of the Notre Dame program, Brey owns a 2-2 record against Wake Forest.
Austin Burgett (Sr./F)
- Burgett earned his first start since March 3, 2014 and fifth overall at Notre Dame.
- The leader of the ‘Blue Team’ during Notre Dame’s practices, Burgett’s outstanding play in practice over the past week earned him the starting nod.
- Burgett produced a career-high 14 points and a season-high five rebounds. He previously registered a career-best 11 points against Georgia Tech (1/11/14).
- His two steals tied a career high set on three occasions during his Irish career.
Demetrius Jackson (Jr./G)
- Jackson returned to the starting lineup today after having been sidelined for the Jan. 28 game at Syracuse with a pulled hamstring, suffered in the opening minutes of Notre Dame’s Jan. 23 victory over Boston College.
- With 14 points vs. Wake Forest, Jackson posted his 17th double-figure outing this season and the 54th of his career.
- Jackson’s six steals were a career high. His previous best was five steals recorded against UMass (11/22/14).
Zach Auguste (Sr./F)
- Auguste totaled 21 points and 12 rebounds against the Demon Deacons. The effort was the 12th double-double in 21 games for Auguste, as well as the 17th of his collegiate career.
- Auguste has secured double-figure points in 16 games this season and 10-plus rebounds on 15 occasions. For his career, he has 55 double-figure games and 21 contests with 10-plus rebounds.
- The game was Auguste’s fourth this season with 20-plus points.
Steve Vasturia (Jr./G)
- Vasturia has registered double figures in scoring in 18 of 21 games this season, bringing his career total to 43.
V.J. Beachem (Jr./F)
- The game marked Beachem’s 14th double-figure scoring outing and the 25th of his career.