Sept. 25, 2009
Senior setter Jamel Nicholas is a mainstay on the court for the Notre Dame volleyball squad. The Gibsonia, Pa., product has seen action in 100 career matches for the Fighting Irish, including all 10 this season. Nicholas leads the team with 395 assists this season, averaging 10.97 per set. She broke the 2,000-assist mark earlier this season and currently has 2,353 to her credit. Nicholas sat down with UND.com to tell us a little more about herself.
1. Do you have any nicknames?
Everybody calls me Jam.
2. If you could only eat one meal for the rest of your life, would it be breakfast, lunch, dinner, or dessert?
Dinner, most definitely.
3. Which academic class have you enjoyed the most since coming to Notre Dame?
I really like all of my education classes.
4. What is your favorite professional sports team?
I would have to go with the Pittsburgh Steelers.
5. If I took a look inside your refrigerator, what would I find?
6. Mac or PC?
7. What would you do if you won $1,000,000 tomorrow?
I would take a vacation and then save my money.
8. What is your favorite season at Notre Dame?
I love the fall.
9. What was your dream job as a little kid?
I wanted to be a physical therapist; that has definitely changed!
10. What is your proudest moment in your athletic career?
In high school, my team won the 2005 volleyball state championship, and at Notre Dame my proudest moment so far has been beating fifth-ranked Stanford.
11. What movie last made you cry?
I cried during “P.S. I Love You”.
12. If you could listen to one song before each match, what would it be?
My teammates make fun of me, but “Disturbia” by Rihanna.
13. Early bird or night owl?
I’m definitely an early bird.
14. What are some of your hobbies aside from playing for the Fighting Irish?
I love to water-ski, and I also love volunteering and getting to work with little kids.
15. How do you pump up before a match?
I listen to music mostly; it doesn’t take much.
16. If you could own any car, what would you choose to drive?
I would drive a black Land Rover.
17. North Dining Hall or South Dining Hall, and why?
Definitely North. I lived in Breen-Phillips my first two years which is right nearby.
18. What is your favorite snack food?
I love pretzels with hummus and chips with cheese.
19. You have a completely free schedule all day on Sunday, what do you do?
I would wake up, go to church and then watch football all day long.
20. What’s the best part about playing for the Fighting Irish?
The best part is the tradition that it carries. The balance between academics and athletics is great and we all make a commitment to play hard once we put on that Fighting Irish jersey.
— ND —