Nov. 16, 2011
2011-12 Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
Notre Dame 74, Sam Houston State 41
Progressive CBE Classic – Regional Round
November 16, 2011
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
- Tonight was the second meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Sam Houston State. The Fighting Irish won the first meeting, 88-69, during the 1997-98 season at the Joyce Center.
- Scott Martin (Sr./G), Joey Brooks (Jr./G), Jack Cooley (Jr./F), Alex Dragicevich (So./G) and Jerian Grant (So./G) started tonight’s game. It was the first career start for Dragicevich. Martin, Brooks, Cooley and Grant have started all three games this season.
- Notre Dame upped its home win streak to 22
- Notre Dame is off to a 3-0 start for the fourth straight season and for the eighth time under head coach Mike Brey (12 seasons).
- The 41 points scored by Sam Houston State were the fewest for an Irish opponent since Monmouth scored 33 during the 2007-08 season (Nov. 16, 2007).
- The Fighting Irish held Sam Houston State to just 16 first-half points … those were the fewest points by a Notre Dame opponent in a half since California scored five first-half points last season (Nov. 26, 2010)
- Pat Connaughton’s six made three-pointers (on 10 attempts) were the most for an Irish freshman since Chris Thomas had six against Connecticut in the semifinals of the 2002 BIG EAST Tournament (March 8, 2002)
- Pat Connaughton’s 24 points were the most for a Notre Dame freshman since Torin Francis had 25 against Arizona in the Sweet 16 of the 2003 NCAA Tournament (March 27, 2003)
- Notre Dame’s 10 made three-pointers were the most since the Irish hit 10 last season at Connecticut (March 5, 2011)
- Scott Martin’s three-pointer less than a minute into the game upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 411.
- Notre Dame had a season-high 21 assists (on 27 made baskets)
Eric Atkins (So./G)
- Missed the game due to illness … it was the first missed game of his career … he had played in the first 36 contests of his Fighting Irish career
Pat Connaughton (Fr./G-F)
- Scored a career-high and game-high 24 points … it marked his second straight game in double-figures … they were the most points for a Notre Dame freshman since Torin Francis had 25 against Arizona in the Sweet 16 of the 2003 NCAA Tournament (March 27, 2003)
- Was 6-10 from three-point range … that marked the most made treys for an Irish player this season and the most for an Irish freshman since Chris Thomas made six against Connecticut during the semifinals of the 2002 BIG EAST Tournament (March 8, 2002)
Jack Cooley (Jr./F)
- Posted career-high totals in assists (4) and steals (3)
Alex Dragicevich (So./G)
- Dished out a career-high three assists (previous high was two)
Jerian Grant (So./G)
- Notched career-high numbers in points (17), rebounds (6) and assists (7)
- Is the only Irish player to score in double-figures in all three games this season
Tom Knight (Jr./F)
- Tied a career-high mark with seven points (had scored seven points on two other occasions) … also had career-high totals in assists (2) and steals (2)
Scott Martin (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the second time this season and for the 34th time during his college career (21 times at Notre Dame)