Nov. 22, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 81, Massachusetts 68
November 22, 2014
Mohegan Sun Arena Â· Uncasville, Conn.
- Notre Dame has scored 80 or more points in the first four games of a season for the first time since the 2009-10 campaign when the Irish netted 80-plus points in each of the first five games of the season.
- The Fighting Irish are off to a 4-0 start for the first time since the 2011-12 campaign and for the eighth time in 15 seasons under head coach Mike Brey.
- Notre Dame led 31-28 at halftime … after trailing 23-13 the Fighting Irish finished the half on an 18-5 run … the Irish have held a halftime lead in all four games this season.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started today’s contest … that quintet has started all four games this season.
- Notre Dame had 13 steals … the Irish have had 11 or more steals in three games this season.
- The Irish were 9-of-19 from three-point range … Notre Dame has hit nine treys in each of the last three games.
- Notre Dame shot 58.5% (31-53) from the field … the Irish have shot at least 55% in all four games this season.
- This was the first meeting between Notre Dame and Massachusetts.
- The Fighting Irish improved to 53-6 all-time against teams from the Atlantic 10 Conference.
- A three-pointer from Steve Vasturia in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 513.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Notched a double-double with 11 points and a game-high 10 rebounds … it was the second double-double of his career (first of the season).
- Scored in double-figures for the fifth straight game dating back to last season and for the 15th time overall during his career.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Scored a season-high 18 points … reached double-figures for the third time this season and the 51st time of his career.
- Made his 86th consecutive start and the 89th overall of his career … has played in all 105 games during his Fighting Irish career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored a season-high (and game-high) 24 points … the 24 points are the most for any Irish player this season … scored 20-plus points for the 15th time of his career.
- He has reached double-figures in points in each of his last six games and 69 times during his career, which are the most for any current Fighting Irish player.
- Dished out a game-best eight assists. Has had eight-plus assists in three straight games.
- Shot 10-of-13 from the field … the 10 made field goals matched a career-best mark.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored a season-high 16 points … reached double-figures in points for the second straight game and for the third time this season … has netted double-figures 10 times during his career.
- Registered a career-high (and game-high) five steals.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Grabbed a career-high seven rebounds.