Nov. 16, 2014
Notre Dame Men’s Basketball Postgame Notes
Notre Dame 92, Navy 53
November 16, 2014
Purcell Pavilion at the Joyce Center – Notre Dame, Ind.
- This was the ninth meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Navy and the first since a 67-53 Fighting Irish victory on Feb. 4, 1980 … the Fighting Irish have won the last six showdowns and lead the series 8-1, including a 3-0 mark at home.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started today’s contest … that quintet has started both games this season.
- Notre Dame is off to a 2-0 start for the eighth straight season and the 14th time in 15 campaigns under head coach Mike Brey.
- The Fighting Irish are 52-1 in their last 53 home games in the month of November.
- Notre Dame had an assist on 19 of its 32 field goals … the Irish only committed nine turnovers … Notre Dame has turned the ball over just 16 times in the first two games this season.
- The Fighting Irish turned 20 Navy turnovers into 25 points … Notre Dame had 11 steals.
- Notre Dame led 36-28 at halftime … Notre Dame outscored Navy 56-25 in the second half … the Irish shot 62.5% percent (20-32) from the floor in the second half, while limiting Navy to 23.3% (7-30).
- A three-pointer from Pat Connaughton in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 511.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Scored a career-high 20 points … his previous career-high mark was 19, which occurred Friday versus Binghamton.
- Has led the Fighting Irish in scoring in both games this season and three times overall during his career.
- Scored in double-figures for the third straight game dating back to last season and for the 13th time overall during his career.
V.J. Beachem (So./F)
- Matched a career-high total with 10 points … he’s netted 10 points on two other occasions and most recently against North Carolina last season (Feb. 8, 2014).
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Netted double-figures (13 points) for the fifth straight game dating back to last season … that is the longest current streak for any Irish player … has 50 career double-figure efforts.
- Had a game-high eight rebounds … has led the Irish in rebounds both games this season.
- Made his 84th consecutive start and the 87th overall of his career… has played in all 103 games during his Fighting Irish career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Notched the fifth double-double of his career with 17 points and 10 assists … the assist total tied a career-high mark that he’s achieved four other times and most recently last season at Iowa (Dec. 3, 2013).
- Has reached double-figures in points in each of his last four games and 67 times during his career, which are the most for any current Fighting Irish player.