Jan. 22, 2015
- Notre Dame’s 18-2 record is the best 20-game start for the Fighting Irish since the 1973-74 team posted a 19-1 mark.
- The Fighting Irish are 3-0 in conference road play (BIG EAST & ACC) for the first time ever.
- Notre Dame’s 6-1 ACC record matches the program’s best start in conference play (BIG EAST & ACC) … the 2002-03 Irish squad began BIG EAST action 6-1 … Notre Dame won six ACC games overall last season (6-12).
- Tonight was the sixth meeting all-time between Notre Dame and Virginia Tech and the second as ACC foes … the Irish have won the last five meetings and lead the series 5-1 … this was Notre Dame’s first visit to Blacksburg since Jan. 20, 2004 (a 74-63 Irish victory) … Notre Dame is 3-0 all-time at Virginia Tech.
- The 25-point victory was Notre Dame’s largest ever in an ACC game … the previous mark was the 20-point win (83-63) over Florida State on Dec. 13.
- The 85 points were the most ever scored by Notre Dame in an ACC game (previous high was 83 on two occasions).
- The Irish only committed six turnovers … it signified the 13th time this season (fifth straight contest) Notre Dame had fewer than 10 turnovers in a game.
- The Fighting Irish had an assist on 19 of their 29 made field goals … it was the sixth time this season Notre Dame had at least 19 assists in a game.
- The Fighting Irish were 12-of-26 (46.2%) from three-point range … it marked the seventh time this season Notre Dame made 10 or more three-pointers in a game (five times in the last eight contests) … the 12 treys were the most for the Irish in an ACC game this season.
- Notre Dame led 38-28 at halftime … the Irish are 15-1 this season when leading at the intermission.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started tonight’s contest … the Irish are 16-2 this season with that starting quintet.
- A three-pointer from Jerian Grant early in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 529.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Scored in double-figures (16 points) for the 15th time this season (four ACC games) … has 26 career double-digit efforts.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Registered his second straight double-double with 17 points and 10 rebounds … has a team-best six double-doubles this season (two in ACC play) … has 13 career double-doubles, which are the most for any current Irish player … this is the second time this season – and third time during his career – that he’s posted a double-double in consecutive games.
- Scored in double-figures for the 17th time this season (sixth ACC game) and the 65th time of his career … he has reached double-figures in each of the last nine games, which is a career-best streak and is the longest active streak for the Irish.
- Was 5-of-6 from three-point range … the five three-pointers tied a season-high mark.
- Has grabbed 10 or more boards a team-best seven times this season and 17 times for his career.
- Hauled down his 700th career rebound … is the 11th player in program history with 1,200 points and 700 rebounds (1,270 points & 709 rebounds).
- Made his 102nd consecutive start and his 105th career start overall … has played in all 121 games during his Notre Dame career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (game-high 18 points) for the 18th time this season (fifth time in an ACC game) … has 83 career double-digit efforts.
- Dished out a game-best six assists.
- Tied a season-high mark with seven rebounds.
- Matched a career-high total with two blocked shots.
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (12 points) for the 17th time this season (sixth time in an ACC play) … has reached double-digits in points 24 times during his career.
Steve Vasturia (So./G)
- Tied a career-high mark with four assists.
- Fouled out for the first time of his career.