April 26, 2014
CARY, N.C. — The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to Virginia this afternoon, ending the team’s run in its first-ever ACC Championship.
“Virginia played and competed really, really well today,” said head coach Ryan Sachire. “They showed why they’ve been one of the best teams in the country all year long. I am extremely proud of our team and excited for what will be a great NCAA tournament.”
In doubles, sophomore Eric Schnurrenberger and senior Matt Dooley fell 8-1 to Justin Shane and Mitchell Frank at No. 3. Mac Styslinger and Luca Corinteli’s 8-2 victory over sophomores Alex Lawson and Quentin Monaghan at No.1 clinched the doubles point for the Cavaliers.
In singles, Thai-Son Kwiatkowski defeated freshman Eddy Covalschi, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5. After losing his first set to Shane at No. 6, Schnurrenberger battled back to go up 4-3 in the second but ultimately fell to his opponent, 6-2, 6-4.
Virginia clinched the match at No. 1 singles, where 14th-ranked Alex Domijan defeated senior Greg Andrews, 6-3, 6-4.
The Irish look now to the NCAA tournament, which begins in two weeks with first and second rounds held at campus sites that will be determined this week.
1. #14 Alex Domijan (VA) def. #23 Greg Andrews (ND) 6-3, 6-4
2. #4 Mitchell Frank (VA) vs. Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-3, 2-1, unfinished
3. #47 Ryan Shane (VA) vs. Ryan Bandy (ND) 6-4, 0-1, unfinished
4. #80 Mac Styslinger (VA) vs. Josh Hagar (ND) 7-5, 2-1, unfinished
5. #115 Thai-Son Kwiatkowski (VA) def. Eddy Covalschi (ND) 6-1, 6-0
6. Justin Shane (VA) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) 6-2, 6-4
1. #54 Mac Styslinger/Luca Corinteli (VA) def. Alex Lawson/Quentin Monaghan (ND) 8-2
2. #74 Alex Domijan/Harrison Richmond (VA) vs. Greg Andrews/Josh Hagar (ND) 6-2, unfinished
3. Justin Shane/Mitchell Frank (VA) def. Eric Schnurrenberger/Matt Dooley (ND) 8-1
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant