Jan. 30, 2010
The sixth-ranked Irish advanced to the final match of the ITA Kickoff Weekend with a 6-1 win over No. 46 DePaul Saturday at the Eck Tennis Pavilion.
The Irish will face No. 17 North Carolina at 1:00 p.m. (ET) Sunday with the winner advancing to the ITA National Indoor Championships in Madison, Wis., Feb. 12-15.
Notre Dame took the early 1-0 lead after winning the doubles point. The 12th-ranked duo of Kristy Frilling and Kali Krisik knocked off No. 9 Anna Redesci and Selma Salkovic, 8-2, at No. 1 doubles, but Cosmina Ciobanu and Chrissie McGaffigan fell to Katarina Milinkovic and Gia McKnight, 8-3, at second doubles to even the match. Colleen Rielley and Shannon Mathews held off a rally by Sandra Zmak and Kirsten Gambrell to take the No. 3 doubles contest 8-5 and clinch the point for the Irish.
No. 30 Frilling put the Irish up 2-0 with her 6-0, 6-2 win over Redesci at No. 1 singles. Notre Dame moved ahead 3-0 when DePaul’s Gambrell was forced to retire her match at No. 6 singles against Colleen Rielley. McGaffigan clinched the win for the Irish after topping Katarina Milinkovic, 6-4, 6-0, at third singles.
Krisik downed Zmak, 6-2, 6-4, at No. 4 singles, and Ciobanu edged McKnight, 7-5, 6-4, to give Notre Dame a 6-0 lead. Salkovic defeated Mathews, 7-6, 7-5, at No. 2 singles to avoid the sweep.
In earlier action, No. 17 North Carolina defeated No. 33 Boise State, 7-0. The Tar Heels won all three doubles matches, before sweeping the singles contests for the win. Boise State will face DePaul Sunday at 9:00 a.m. in a consolation match.
#6 Notre Dame 6, #46 DePaul 1
1. #30 Kristy Frilling (ND) def. Anna Redesci (DU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Selma Salkovic (DU) def. Shannon Mathews (ND) 7-6, 7-5
3. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) def. Katarina Milinkovic (DU) 6-4, 6-0
4. Kali Krisik (ND) def. Sandra Zmak (DU) 6-2, 6-4
5. Cosmina Ciobanu (ND) def. Gia McKnight (DU) 7-5, 6-4
6. Colleen Rielley (ND) def. Kirsten Gambrell (DU) 6-0, 4-3, ret.
Order of finish: 1,6,3,4,2,6
1. #12 Frilling/Krisik (ND) def. #9 Redesci/Salkovic (DU) 8-2
2. Milinkovic/McKnight (DU) def. Ciobanu/McGaffigan (ND) 8-3
3. Mathews/Rielley (ND) def. Zmak/Gambrell (DU) 8-5
Order of finish: 1,2,3