March 3, 2013
MADISON, Wis. – The No. 29 University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team dropped the doubles point to No. 59 Wisconsin but won four of the six singles contests to earn a 5-2 road win over the Badgers Sunday afternoon at Nielsen Tennis Center.
Down 1-0 after doubles, the Irish fell into a 2-0 hole when Alexander Kostanov took down junior Billy Pecor with a 6-0, 6-2 win at four.
Notre Dame (7-5) started the comeback at five as Wyatt McCoy defeated Jakhongir Jalalov, 6-1, 6-1.
No. 97 Greg Andrews tied the match at 2-2 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory at one over Billy Bertha.
Notre Dame claimed its first lead of the match with a 6-2, 6-4 win at six as Michael Moore knocked off Alexander Kokorev.
Freshman Quentin Monaghan clinched the victory for the Irish with a 6-3, 6-2 win at two over Oskar Wikberg.
No. 102 Blas Moros closed out the match with a 3-6, 6-1, 6-3 win at three over Petr Satral.
“I was disappointed at the level we played at two and three doubles,” said head coach Bobby Bayliss. “It was below the level of what we have come to expect. But I give credit to the team for buckling down in singles and coming up with the win in adverse conditions. After we trailed 2-0, we only dropped one set the rest of the match. Wyatt (McCoy) and Michael Moore played particularly well at five and six singles, respectively. We now have to get ready for a strong Illinois team on Tuesday night.”
The Irish welcome the No. 17 Illini to Eck Tennis Center at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Fans can follow the match through live stats. Free Papa Johns pizza will be available while supplies last for all in attendance.
Notre Dame dropped the doubles point as the Badgers won at two and three. Kokorev and Satral knocked off Alex Lawson and Pecor, 8-4, at two and Jalalov and Wikberg defeated Matt Dooley and Monaghan, 8-4, at three.
The Irish did pick up a win at one doubles as Andrews and Talmadge dropped Bertha and Kostanov, 8-6, to give the Irish momentum heading into the singles portion of the contest.
1) Greg Andrews/Spencer Talmadge (ND) def. Billy Bertha/Alexander Kostanov: 8-6
2) Alexander Kokorev/Petr Satral (WIS) vs. Alex Lawson/Billy Pecor (ND): 8-4
3) Jakhongir Jalalov/Oskar Wikberg (WIS) def. Matt Dooley/Quentin Monaghan (ND): 8-4
Order of Finish: 3, 1, 2
1) Greg Andrews (ND) def. Billy Bertha (WIS): 6-1, 6-3
2) Quentin Monaghan (ND) def. Oskar Wikberg (WIS): 6-3, 6-2
3) Blas Moros (ND) def. Petr Satral (WIS): 3-6, 6-1, 6-3
4) Alexander Kostanov (WIS) vs. Billy Pecor (ND): 6-2, 6-0
5) Wyatt McCoy (ND) def. Jakhongir Jalalov (WIS): 6-1, 6-1
6) Michael Moore (ND) def. Alexander Kokorev (WIS): 6-2, 6-4
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 5, 6, 2, 3