Feb. 22, 2015
PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team completed a weekend sweep to open Atlantic Coast Conference play, surging in singles competition to defeat Pittsburgh 4-3 Sunday at the Alpha Fitness and Tennis Center.
The 26th-ranked Irish (6-3, 2-0 ACC) cruised through the singles round, winning the first four matches in straight sets after dropping the doubles point to the Panthers (2-5, 0-2 ACC). Junior Quinn Gleason, who missed singles play on Friday at Louisville with a sprained ankle, returned Sunday to defeat Lolade Ogungbesan, 6-3, 6-4, at the No. 1 slot. On Court 3, Julie Vrabel halted a three-match skid, defeating Amber Washington, 6-2, 6-3.
“The four singles wins were great because they were all straight sets,” head coach Jay Louderback said. “It was like bang bang bang. It was good for Jane to clinch that match for us (from a confidence standpoint). She’s had a sore ankle but once she got in there it was fine.”
The Irish return home to continue ACC play next Friday and Sunday, welcoming No. 59 Syracuse and No. 7 Virginia, respectively, to the Eck Tennis Pavilion. For the latest on all Irish women’s tennis action, follow @NDWomensTennis on Twitter and like Notre Dame Women’s Tennis on Facebook.
No. 26 Notre Dame 4, Pittsburgh 3
1. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Lolade Ogungbesan (Pitt), 6-3, 6-4
2. Audrey Ann Blakely (Pitt) def. Monica Robinson (ND), 7-6(9), 3-6, 6-3
3. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Amber Washington (Pitt), 6-2, 6-3
4. Callie Frey (Pitt) def. Mary Closs (ND), 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
5. Allison Miller (ND) def. Amanda Wickman (Pitt), 6-1, 6-2
6. Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Katherine Castro (Pitt), 6-2, 6-1
1. Katherine Castro / Lolade Ogungbesan (Pitt) def. No. 14 Quinn Gleason / Monica Robinson (ND), 8-6
2. Audrey Ann Blakely / Callie Frey (Pitt) def. Allison Miller / Julie Vrabel (ND), 8-5
3. Mary Closs / Jane Fennelly (ND) def. Molly Wickman / Amber Washington (Pitt), 8-6
Joanne Norell, Media Relations Assistant