March 30, 2014
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — After sweeping Marquette earlier this week, the University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team had a repeat performance over Wake Forest today, defeating them 7-0. The 24th-ranked Irish are now 10-8 on the season.
Despite being down 4-1 in the match, seniors Julie Sabacinksi and Jennifer Kellner came back to defeat their opponents at No. 2 doubles, Samantha Asch and Luisa Fernandez, 8-6. Senior Britney Sanders and sophomore Quinn Gleason also triumphed over Xue Zhang and Kasey Gardiner, 8-5, and the two victories clinched the doubles point for Notre Dame.
“We played well today, but with a lot of these teams, the doubles is key,” said head coach Jay Louderback. “If we go in 1-0, it’s hard for them to win four singles matches against us. For No. 2 doubles to come back was probably the key to the match. They did a great job of not panicking when they were down, which as two seniors, they should.”
Sanders made quick work of her opponent Andrea Retolaza at No. 1 singles, only losing a single game and winning, 6-0, 6-1. Similarly, Gleason beat Kimmy Guerin, her opponent at No. 2, in straight sets, 6-3, 6-1.
Sophomore Julie Vrabel won the match for Notre Dame at No. 6. She was down early in her first set but came back to win it in an 8-6 tiebreaker. She defeated Zhang, 7-6(6), 6-3, sending Notre Dame up, 4-0.
Freshman Mary Closs pulled out a tough win at No. 5 singles over Gardiner. The match went to a third set, and Closs claimed victory, 6-1, 6-7, 6-1. Freshman Monica Robinson ended her match against Samantha Asch on a winner down the line to take a second-set tiebreaker, finishing, 6-4, 7-6(3).
The final match of the morning was Kellner on court three. Her match against Fernandez also went to a third set, and Kellner won it, 4-6, 6-3, 6-3.
Notre Dame will continue its spring schedule with two home matches next weekend. The Irish will face Maryland at 4 p.m. this Friday, April 4.
1. Britney Sanders (ND) def. Andrea Retolaza (WF), 6-0, 6-1
2. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Kimmy Guerin (WF), 6-3, 6-1
3. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Luisa Fernandez (WF), 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
4. Monica Robinson (ND) def. Samantha Asch (WF), 6-4, 7-6(3)
5. Mary Closs (ND) def. Kasey Gardiner (WF), 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
6. Julie Vrabel (ND) def. Xue Zhang (WF), 7-6(6), 6-3
1. Britney Sanders/Quinn Gleason (ND) def. Xue Zhang/Kasey Gardiner (WF), 8-5
2. Jennifer Kellner/Julie Sabacinski (ND) def. Samantha Asch/Luisa Fernandez (WF), 8-6
3. Monica Robinson/Julie Vrabel (ND) vs. Kimmy Guerin/Karen Forman (WF), 4-7, unfinished
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant