March 16, 2013
ATLANTA, Ga. – The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team closed its spring break road trip with a 5-2 win Saturday at No. 25 Georgia Tech at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The No. 19 Irish (11-5) claimed two of the three doubles courts to take an early 1-0 match lead. Quinn Gleason and Katherine White got Notre Dame rolling with an 8-2 triumph on the third doubles court over Georgia Tech’s Natasha Prokhnevska and Muriel Wacker. Britney Sanders and Julie Sabacinski, the No. 36 duo in the ITA rankings, clinched the doubles portion with an 8-4 decision over Elizabeth Kilborn and Jasmine Minor at second doubles.
Katherine White won her third consecutive match at No. 6 singles, dropping Minor 6-2, 6-2 in straight sets. White’s victory moved the Irish in front 2-0 in the team score.
Georgia Tech (6-6) climbed back into the match at the No. 4 court, as Kurey defeated McGaffigan 6-0, 6-3. Wacker followed with a win of her own over Molly O’Koniewski at third singles, 6-2, 6-4, to square the match at 2-all.
Notre Dame took the lead for good after No. 49 Sanders prevailed over No. 69 Kilborn at No. 1 singles. The Irish junior earned a 6-3, 7-5 straight set triumph to push the visitors in front 3-2.
After dropping the first set to No. 112 Woodard, Gleason answered with a decisive 6-1 second frame win at third singles. Gleason closed out Woodard 4-6, 6-1, 6-4 to clinch the team match for Notre Dame (4-2). Kellner prevailed over Prokhnevska 6-4, 6-4 at the second singles court to cap the match’s scoring.
The Irish host Michigan March 27 at 4 p.m. inside Eck Tennis Pavilion.
No. 19 Notre Dame 5, No. 25 Georgia Tech
Ken Byers Tennis Complex
1. No. 49 Britney Sanders (ND) def. No. 69 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-3, 7-5
2. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. No. 112 Kendal Woodard (GT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) 6-0, 6-3
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Molly O’Koniewski (ND) 6-2, 6-4
6. Katherine White (ND) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-2, 6-2
1. No. 79 Woodard/Kurey (GT) def. No. 60 Kellner/McGaffigan (ND) 8-5
2. No. 36 Julie Sabacinski/Sanders (ND) def. Kilborn/Minor (GT) 8-4
3. Gleason/White (ND) def. Prokhnevska/Wacker (GT) 8-2
Notre Dame 11-5; National ranking No. 19
Georgia Tech 6-6; National ranking No. 25
T-3:45 Order of Finish: Singles (6,4,5,1,3,2); Doubles (3,2,1)