Jan. 25, 2015
University of Notre Dame Men’s Basketball
#8/9 Notre Dame 81, North Carolina State 78 (OT)
January 25, 2015
PNC Arena – Raleigh, N.C.
- Notre Dame’s 19-2 record is the best 21-game start for the Fighting Irish since the 1973-74 team posted a 20-1 mark.
- Notre Dame’s 7-1 ACC record is the program’s best eight-game mark in conference play (BIG EAST & ACC).
- The Fighting Irish are 4-0 in conference road play (BIG EAST & ACC) for the first time ever.
- The Fighting Irish are 3-0 in overtime games this season (Michigan State, Georgia Tech [2ot], NC State) … the Irish are 9-1 in their last 10 overtime contests … Notre Dame has won its last five overtime games that have taken place at a true road site … Notre Dame is 19-10 in overtime under head coach Mike Brey.
- Notre Dame is 5-1 this season in games decided by five points or fewer.
- The Irish have overcome a deficit of 12 points or larger en route to a victory three times in the last four games.
- Notre Dame had five players score in double-figures (Grant 25, Jackson 11, Connaughton 11, Beachem 11, Auguste 10) … it was the eighth time this season the Fighting Irish had at least five players produce a double-digit point total.
- North Carolina State led 42-30 at halftime … the 12-point margin was Notre Dame’s largest halftime deficit of the season … … the 12-point halftime deficit was the largest overcome by the Irish en route to a victory since they came back from a 16-point margin (39-23) in a 74-70 overtime win at Villanova on Feb. 18, 2012 … the Irish are 4-1 this season when trailing at the intermission.
- Notre Dame’s largest deficit of the game was 18 points (40-22) with 3:36 left in the first half … it’s the largest comeback for the Irish since they overcame a 20-point margin (39-19) at Villanova on Feb. 18, 2012 and won 74-70 in overtime.
- Tonight was the ninth meeting all-time between Notre Dame and North Carolina State and the second as ACC foes … the Fighting Irish lead the series 5-4 (series tied 1-1 in ACC play) … this was Notre Dame’s first visit to Raleigh since Feb. 12, 1983 (a 43-42 Irish victory) … the Irish are 4-0 all-time at North Carolina State.
- North Carolina State’s 42 first-half points were the most allowed by the Irish in an opening half this season … they also were the most first-half points ever surrendered by Notre Dame in an ACC contest.
- The Fighting Irish are 5-0 this season when wearing blue uniforms.
- Demetrius Jackson (So./G), Jerian Grant (Sr./G), Steve Vasturia (So./G), Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F) and Zach Auguste (Jr./F) started tonight’s contest … the Irish are 17-2 this season with that starting quintet.
- Notre Dame played seven players (a season-low total).
- A three-pointer from V.J. Beachem in the first half upped Notre Dame’s streak of consecutive games with a made three-pointer to 530.
Zach Auguste (Jr./F)
- Notched his third double-double of the season (first in ACC play) with 10 points and a game-high 11 rebounds … it was the fourth double-double of his career (second in an ACC game) … the 11 boards tied a season-high mark.
- Scored in double-figures for the 16th time this season (five ACC games) … has 27 career double-digit efforts.
V.J. Beachem (So./F)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the seventh time this season (fourth ACC game) … has reached double-digits nine times during his career.
Pat Connaughton (Sr./G-F)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the 18th time this season (seventh ACC game) and the 66th time of his career … he has reached double-figures in each of the last 10 games, which is a career-best streak and is the longest active streak for the Irish.
- Made his 103rd consecutive start and his 106th career start overall … has played in all 122 games during his Notre Dame career.
- Fouled out for just the second time of his career.
Jerian Grant (Sr./G)
- Scored in double-figures (a game-high 25 points) for the fourth straight game and the 19th time this season (sixth ACC game) … has 84 career double-digit efforts.
- The 25 points are the most he’s ever scored in a conference game (ACC or BIG EAST).
- Has netted 20-plus points a team-best seven times this season (three ACC games) … has scored 20 or more points in 21 games during his career.
- Played all 45 minutes.
- Was 9-of-11 from the free throw line … the nine made free throws are the most from any Irish player this season.
- Started his 100th career game … is the 11th player in program history to notch 100 starts and the second to reach that milestone this season (Pat Connaughton).
Demetrius Jackson (So./G)
- Scored in double-figures (11 points) for the 18th time this season (seventh time in ACC play) … has reached double-digits 25 times during his career.