May 30, 2015
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. — The No. 2 seeded University of Notre Dame baseball team moved into the winner’s bracket of the NCAA Champaign Regional Friday afternoon with a 13-7 win over No. 3 seed Wright State.
The Irish (37-21) play No. 1 seed Illinois (48-8-1) at 7:05 p.m. (ET) Saturday for the right to advance to Sunday’s region championship game.
Here are a few extra notes from the victory over the Raiders:
- Notre Dame’s 13 runs against the Raiders was the most in an NCAA Championship game for an Irish team since 2003 when Notre Dame opened up the Fullerton Regional with a 13-5 victory over Arizona … 2003 also marked the last year the Irish won their first game at an NCAA Regional
- Notre Dame set a new season standard with 13 RBI in the game … the Irish also tied their season high with 16 hits
- Ryan Bull and Robert Youngdahl tied an Irish season high with four RBI each … it marked the first time all season that two Notre Dame players tallied four RBI in one game … both have recorded four RBI in a single game this season (Bull vs. North Carolina & Youngdahl at Boston College)
- With six runs in the eighth inning, the Irish have now outscored opponents in the eighth frame this year, 42-16 … the 26-run margin is the most lopsided inning this year … the Irish have outscored opponents 40-15 in the fourth and 42-22 in the first … Notre Dame has outscored opponents in every inning except the seventh and extras
- Notre Dame is 24-2 when scoring six or more runs this season
- Sophomore Kyle Fiala has now reached base in 47 consecutive games, which is the longest current streak in the Atlantic Coast Conference and one of the longest streaks in Division I … Fiala is tied with former Irish standout Ryan Connolly for the longest streak for a Notre Dame player since 2007 … Connolly also hit in 47 straight games between the 2009 and 2010 seasons
- With another double Friday, Youngdahl ups his season total to 20, which is the most by an Irish player since Matt Edwards had 21 in 2005 … the New Brighton, Minnesota native just moved past Arizona Diamondbacks centerfielder A.J. Pollock and New York Yankees minor leaguer Eric Jagielo, who both notched 19 in their final seasons with Notre Dame
- Sophomore Cavan Biggio hit his ninth homer of the season against Wright State … nine is the most since Jagielo had nine in 2013 … in 2012, Jagielo had 13 and current Baltimore Orioles minor leaguer Trey Mancini had 12
- After hitting just 11 homers as a team last season, Notre Dame has hit 42 this year
- Freshman Brandon Bielak picked up his sixth win of the season Friday, which is the most by an Irish freshman since at least 2005
—Russell Dorn, Assistant Media Relations Director