NOTRE DAME, Ind. — After leading Notre Dame to a weekend sweep at Michigan, senior goaltender Cale Morris was named the Big Ten’s Second Star of the Week the conference announced on Tuesday (Feb. 25).
Morris stopped 34 of the 35 shots he faced in Notre Dame’s 2-1 game one win over the Wolverines (Feb. 21) and then made 19 saves in the 3-0 game two win (Feb. 22) for his 10th-career shutout. He posted a 0.50 goals against average and an impressive .981 save percentage in the weekend series.
With the two victories, Morris moved up into a tie for second with Steven Summerhays ’14 on Notre Dame’s career victories list with 57.
An All-American and Mike Richter Award Winner as the NCAA’s top goaltender (2018), Morris has now racked up 15 weekly Big Ten honors in his career: First Star (8), Second Star (4), Third Star (3).
B1G Stars Of The Week — Feb. 25
First Star: Roman Ahcan, F, So., Wisconsin
Second Star: Cale Morris, G, Sr., Notre Dame
Third Star: Alex Turcotte, F, Fr., Wisconsin
Notre Dame’s 2019-20 Weekly B1G Honors
Mike O’Leary: First Star (Oct. 29)
Cal Burke: Second Star (Oct. 29)
Matt Hellickson: Third Star (Dec. 17)
Cale Morris: First Star (Dec. 17 & Jan. 7), Second Star (Feb. 25), Third Star (Nov. 12)
Cam Morrison: Third Star (Nov. 5)
- Notre Dame returns home to close out the regular season with a weekend series against Michigan State (Feb. 28-29).
- In the tightly contested B1G standings, the Irish (14-12-6, 9-8-5-3 B1G) could finish anywhere from tied for first through sixth place and earn either the No. 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 seed for the upcoming Big Ten tournament.
- Saturday’s game will feature a post-game Senior Night ceremony to honor Cal Burke, Tory Dello, Cale Morris, Cam Morrison and Mike O’Leary.
- Game one is slated for a 7 p.m. ET puck drop (NBCSN), while Saturday’s Senior Night game will begin at 6 p.m. ET (NBCSports Philadelphia+).
- Pittsburgh Penguins’ organist Tim DeBacco will serve as the guest organist for the weekend and Chicago Blackhawks anthem singer Jim Cornelison is set to sing the anthem on Senior Night, click here for tickets.