BLACKSBURG, Virginia – Notre Dame (10-4, 0-1 ACC) came up short against No. 10 Virginia Tech (12-1, 1-0 ACC) in the ACC opener in Blacksburg on New Year’s Day, as the Hokies won by a final score of 81-66.
Three Irish players finished in double figures in the points column, as junior T.J. Gibbs led the way with 19. Sophomore D.J. Harvey notched 16 points and freshman Nate Laszewski added 14 in the defeat.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The two sides played an even opening eight minutes to the game, as the score was level at 13-13 with 12 minutes left in the first frame. The Hokies then took control of the game, scoring 15 of the next 17 points to gain a 28-15 advantage. However, the Irish refused to go away and scored 13 of the final 15 points of the half to close the gap to just two points at 30-28 at the halftime break. Harvey, Gibbs and Prentiss Hubb each connected on three-pointers in the stretch to spur the run.
Gibbs came out firing in the second half, scoring eight points early to bring the Irish within one at 43-42 with just under 15 minutes left in the game. Virginia Tech responded by pushing its lead back to double figures at 57-47 and went on to win by a final score of 81-66.
NOTRE DAME PLAYER OF THE GAME
Gibbs knocked down a season-high five shots from three-point range on Tuesday and finished with a team-high 19 points, which matches his season high. The junior finished 5-for-10 from beyond the arc and 6-of-13 from the field. Gibbs also added four assists and a rebound in his 38 minutes of play.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
For the fifth time this season Notre Dame knocked down at least 10 shots from three-point range in a game. The Irish finished with 13 makes from distance, as Gibbs finished with five and Laszewski tallied four.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- The Irish are now 4-2 in ACC openers and 3-3 in their first ACC road game of the season
- Notre Dame is 8-3 against Virginia Tech in the all-time series, including a mark of 5-2 in ACC action.
- Durham blocked four shots and has now notched three or more blocks in nine games this season. The junior leads the ACC in blocks with 43 on the season.
- For the 12th time this season and 46th time in his career, Gibbs finished in double figures with 19 points.
- Harvey poured in 16 points, notching his ninth game this season and 13th game in his career with 10-plus points.
- Laszewski surpassed the 10-point mark for the fifth time this season with 14 points.
- Dane Goodwin tied his career-high in rebounds with six against the Hokies.
The Irish open their home ACC slate against Syracuse at noon on Saturday, Jan. 5 inside Purcell Pavilion.
To purchase tickets Notre Dame men’s basketball tickets visit UND.com/BuyTickets.
— ND —