Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Official Athletics Website

Men's Lacrosse Falls to No. 8 Georgetown, 12-8

April 10, 1999

NOTRE DAME Ind. – The 14-ranked Notre Dame men’s lacrosse team saw its first-quarter four-goal lead erased at home and lost for the first time at home this season as the Irish dropped a 12-8 decision to eighth-ranked Georgetown.

Notre Dame, looking to rebound from its 10-9 overtime setback at Hofstra last Saturday, jumped out to an early four-goal lead in the first quarter. Brad Owen (Amherst, N.H.) scored the first Irish goal 58 seconds into the contest. Tom Glatzel (Ellicott City, Md.) tallied twice in the first 15-minute stanza and Stedman Oakey (Charlottesville, Va.) scored once as the Irish built a 4-0 lead.

Georgetown got on the scoreboard with 19 seconds left in the first quarter as Scott Urick scored the first of his three goals. The Hoyas netted its second goal with 14:17 remaining in the second quarter on Greg McCavera’s man-down goal. Keith Baker, off a feed from Art Price, cut the lead to 4-3 and then McCavera added the second of his three goals with 3:25 left in the second quarter as the two team headed into halftime knotted at 4-4.

David Urlich (Baltimore, Md.) gave the Irish a 5-4 advantage 2:01 into the quarter, but Urick scored just 10 seconds to tie the score for the second time in the game off a McCavera assist. Urick gave the Hoyas their first lead of the contest with 9:55 remaining in the third quarter as he and McCavera once again connected for the score. The Hoyas went up 7-5 on Otakar Greg Hubschmann’s score less than a minute later.

Notre Dame tied the game for the third and final time in the contest on back-to-back goals by Steve Bishko (West Islip, N.Y.) and Chris Dusseau (Columbus, Ohio). Both goals came were assisted by Ned Webster (Baltimore, Md.) and came with the Irish holding a man-advantage on the field. Dusseau’s goal, the 100th of his career came with 4:47 left in the third quarter.

Georgetown took the lead for good on Hubschmann’s second goal of the game 43 seconds following Dusseau’s score. Andy Flick added two goal and Andy Henehan added another to round out the Hoya scoring.

John Flandina (West Islip, N.Y.) had the only other score for Notre Dame in the game. His goal came with 3:16 remaining in the contest as the Irish cut pulled to within 10-8 in the game.

McCavera finished the game with three goals and two assists and established the Hoya scoring mark for career points (191) to pass Chris Remington (1992-95) who finished his career with 189 points. McCavera also tied Remington’s career goal mark of 117.

Georgetown outshot Notre Dame 52-24 in the game. Irish goalie Kirk Howell (Nashville, Tenn.) tied his career-best with 17 saves. With the loss Notre Dame drops to 5-4 on the season, while the Hoyas improve to 6-2. The Irish return to action on Wednesday, April 14 when they travel to Columbus, Ohio to face the Buckeyes in a Great Western Lacrosse League matchup at 3:30 p.m.