NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Fighting Irish freshman forward Landon Slaggert has been named to USA Hockey’s roster for its upcoming camp ahead of the 2021 International Ice Hockey Federation World Junior Championship.
All told, 29 players have been invited to Team USA’s camp, which will begin on Dec. 6 in Plymouth, Michigan. Twenty-five players will move on to comprise the final roster for the U.S. National Junior Team, which is tentatively scheduled to be announced on Dec. 13.
The 2021 IIHF World Junior Championship will take place from Dec. 25, 2020, through Jan. 5, 2021, in Edmonton, Alberta. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the tournament will be played with all 10 teams in a competition bubble and no spectators allowed at Rogers Place. Team USA opens play on Dec. 25 versus Russia.
Slaggert, who earlier this fall was invited to Team USA’s National Junior Team Evaluation Camp on Oct. 8-13, has played in all four of Notre Dame’s games this season. He registered his first career point with an assist on Nate Clurman’s goal in Notre Dame’s 3-2 win at third-ranked Michigan on Nov. 27. Slaggert’s older brother, Graham, also had an assist on that goal.
The Landon Slaggert File
Forward | South Bend, Indiana | USNTDP
- Slaggert played for the USNTDP for the past two seasons before joining Notre Dame.
- For the 2019-20 season playing with the U18’s, he skated in all 47 games and scored 13 goals and added 11 assists for 24 points.
- In 19 USHL games, he totaled 10 points on six goals and four assists.
- Also played in the 2020 Biosteel All-American Game where he recorded an assist.
- Helped Team USA win the Five Nations Tournament in Sundsvall, Sweden (November 2019).
- In 2018-19, he skated in 48 games with the U17 team, scoring 10 goals and adding 14 assists for 24 points.
- Also in 2018-19, he skated for Team USA in the U17 Four Nations Tournament (second) and the World U17 Hockey Challenge.
- Before joining the NTDP, Slaggert helped guide the Chicago Mission to the High Performance Major Bantam crown in 2017.
- The South Bend, Indiana, native is the brother of current Notre Dame junior forward Graham Slaggert and son of Irish associate head coach Andy Slaggert.
Notre Dame At The IIHF World Junior Championship
- Last season, current juniors Jake Pivonka and Spencer Stastney became Notre Dame’s 21st and 22nd players to take part in the prestigious tournament when they skated for Team USA at the 2020 IIHF World Junior Championship (Czech Republic).
- Prior to Pivonka and Stastney, former Irish captain and current Columbus Blue Jackets defenseman Andrew Peeke was the last Irish player to make Team USA’s World Junior Championship roster (2018).
- Peeke was also the last Irish player to earn a medal at the event by helping the U.S. secure bronze in Buffalo in 2018.
- Notre Dame’s other medalists include Anders Bjork (bronze in 2016), Mario Lucia (gold in 2013), Kyle Palmieri (gold in 2010 and bronze in 2011), Kyle Lawson (bronze in 2007) and Ben Simon (silver in 1997).
Next Up For The Irish
- The Fighting Irish begin a six-game homestand to close out the opening portion of their 2020-21 schedule, beginning with a two-game non conference series versus Arizona State on Thursday, Dec. 3 (NHL Network) and Friday, Dec. 4 (NBCSN).
- Both games at the Compton Family Ice Arena will begin at 7 p.m.