WEST LAFAYETTE, In. — The Notre Dame Women’s Tennis team kicked off a roadtrip with a 4-3 victory over Purdue on Sunday afternoon.
“Another 4-3 battle for us today against Purdue — a complete team effort!” Coach Silverio said. “We have to continue to compete at a high level every time we step on the court. Our tennis may fluctuate, but our mental and physical toughness must not waver. It was fitting for the match to come down to Maeve Koscielski, she has been relentless with her work ethic.”
Koscielski was relentless, indeed. After dropping the first set, 4-6, the sophomore rebounded to take the second set from Purdue’s Csilla Fodor, 6-2, to force a third. In the final set, Koscielski forced a tiebreaker and won the set, 7-6 (4).
How It Happened
After dropping the doubles point, the Irish came from behind to secure four singles victories en route to a win over Purdue.
Cameron Corse picked up the first Irish point of the day, defeating Seira Shimizu in straight sets, 6-2, 6-0. Page Freeman earned a victory over Alex Sabe in three sets. After winning the first set, 6-2, she dropped the second set, 6-1, and then rallied for a convincing 6-1 victory in the third set.
In the fourth spot, Ally Bojczuk recorded a win over Nathalia Gasparin after winning the tiebreak in the first set, 7-6 (5) and then the second set, 6-3.
With the competition tied at three, Koscielski earned the deciding point to bring home the Irish victory.
PURDUE 3, NOTRE DAME 4
- Ena Babic (PUR) def. Zoe Spence (ND) 3-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Cameron Corse (ND) def. Seira Shimizu (PUR) 6-2, 6-0
- Page Freeman (ND) def. Alex Sabe (PUR) 6-2, 1-6, 6-1
- No. 122 Ally Bojczuk (ND) def. Nathalia Gasparin (PUR) 7-6(5), 6-3
- Zala Dovnik (PUR) def. Bess Waldram (ND) 6-2, 6-4
- Maeve Koscielski (ND) def. Csilla Fodor (PUR) 4-6, 6-2, 7-6(4)
- Nathalia Wolf Gasparin/Zala Dovnik (PUR) vs. Cameron Corse/Page Freeman (ND) 5-4 unfinished
- Alex Sabe/Ena Babic (PUR) def. Zoe Spence/Zoe Taylor (ND) 6-3
- Seira Shimizu/Csilla Zodor (PUR) def. Julia Lilien/AllyBojuczuk (ND) 6-2
Singles Order: 2, 5, 3, 4, 6
Doubles Order: 2, 3
The Irish head to the USTA campus in Lake Nona, FL, for the College MatchDay competition. The Irish will battle Southern Cal on Feb. 15. The match will begin at 5 p.m. ET and live updates will be available on Twitter via @NDWomensTennis, while the match will also be shown live on Tennis Channel +.