The University of Notre Dame men’s basketball team will take part in its seventh Atlantic Coast Conference/Big Ten Challenge during the 2019-20 season, traveling to Maryland on December 4, 2019 (network and time to be announced at a later date).
- The Irish boast a 4-2 record in the conference versus conference event, including a 76-74 victory over Illinois at Purcell Pavilion last season.
- Notre Dame and Maryland will be meeting for the 21st time, with the Irish leading the all-time series 11-9. The Irish are 3-5 on Maryland’s home court and 5-2 at Purcell Pavilion.
- The Irish and Terrapins were ACC opponents for a single season in 2013-14 before Maryland shifted to the Big Ten. That season, Notre Dame led by nine at halftime but fell 74-66 to Maryland on January 15.
- Mike Brey is 2-2 at Notre Dame against Maryland, including a 79-67 victory over No. 9/8 Maryland in the 2002 BB&T Classic and an 81-74 win over No. 23/19 Maryland on December 3, 2006.
- While this will be Notre Dame’s seventh ACC/Big Ten Challenge appearance, it will only be the fourth different opponent for the Irish in the event. Notre Dame has split two-game series with Iowa and Michigan and swept two games with Illinois. Notre Dame is 1-2 on the road in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The Terrapins are 0-5 in the event since joining the Big Ten.
- The ACC leads the Challenge history against the Big Ten with a 12-5-3 mark. The conference tied last season with seven wins each, breaking a two-year winning streak for the ACC.
- The announcement of this game adds to the already released 2019-20 season and ACC opener at North Carolina on November 6. The Irish also will face Indiana in the 2019 Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis on December 21 and host UCLA at Purcell Pavilion on December 14.
Looking for season tickets for Notre Dame men’s basketball? You can put down a deposit on season tickets today.