Nov. 4, 2017
By Joanne Norell
MINNEAPOLIS – The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team will send sophomore Guillermo Cabrera and freshman William Howells to the championship round of the Gopher Invitational on Sunday as the Irish wrap up their final weekend of fall competition.
Featuring a Maroon Draw with a 16-team compass draw and a Gold Draw with two round-robin flights, the Gopher Invitational features linked doubles and singles results to determine who moves on to the next round. In each round, doubles is played first for one point, with each pair breaking off to play singles for two possible points. In the Gold Draw, points accumulate to determine the fourth-round matchups for a winner on Sunday.
Cabrera and Howells each won their Maroon Draw quarterfinal singles matches to advance to the semis as a pair, with Cabrera downing Minnesota’s Josip Krstanovic and Howells defeating Eli Ogilvy, each in three sets.
In the semifinal, the tandem upended Gopher duo Jackson Allen and Marino Alpeza 6-4, and Howells bested Alpeza 7-6, 6-3 to give the teammates two points and advance to Sunday’s final.
In the Maroon back draw, junior Grayson Broadus and freshman Richard Ciamarra defeated Wisconsin’s Osgar O’Hoison and Daniel Soyfer 6-1, while Broadus went on to defeat Soyfer 6-4, 6-2. Sophomore Matt Gamble and senior Brendon Kempin also defeated Utah’s Slava Shainyan and Egbert Weverink 6-3, and Gamble went on to best Shainyan 6-3, 6-3.
In the Gold Draw, junior Nathan Griffin and freshman Paul Gota each won singles matches to start the day and went on to defeat Utah’s Santiago Sierra and Chase Stoner 6-2 in their third round of doubles.
Play will conclude Sunday with a final round to determine placements for each draw.
Baseline Tennis Center
Nov. 3-5, 2017
- Chase Colton / Robert Krill (UW) def. Guillermo Cabrera / William Howells (ND) 7-5
- Grayson Broadus / Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Vlad Lobak / Justyn Levin (UMN) 6-2
- David Horneffer / Roko Galsnovic (DART) def. Matt Gamble / Brendon Kempin (ND) 6-3
- Josip Krstanovic / Eli Ogilvy (UMN) def. Guillermo Cabrera / William Howells (ND) 6-3
- Simon Stevens / Ty Gentry (OU) def. Grayson Broadus / Richard Ciamarra (ND) 6-1
- Guillermo Cabrera / William Howells (ND) def. Jackson Allen / Marino Alpeza (UMN) 6-4
Consolation Quarterfinals (Doubles Only Friday)
- Pedro Fernandez Del Valle / Matt Summers (DEN) def. Brendon Kempin / Matt Gamble (ND) 6-1
- Grayson Broadus / Richard Ciamarra (ND) def. Osgar O’Hoison / Daniel Soyfer (UW) 6-1
- Matt Gamble / Brendon Kempin (ND) def. Slava Shainyan / Egbert Weverink (UTAH) 6-3
- Akihiro Tanaka / Ethan Young-Smith (OU) def. Nathan Griffin / Paul Gota (ND) 6-2
- Daniel Rayl / Johnathan Small (ND) def. Jorge Nunez (DEN) / Kaleb Dobbs (UMN) 6-3
- Drew Dawson / Conor Somers (ND) def. Sean Hunyh / Aaron Diemer (DEN) 6-3
- John Speicher / Gilbert Jaeger (DART) def. Drew Dawson / Conor Somers (ND) 6-4
- Sean Hyunh / Aaron Diemer (DEN) def. Daniel Rayl / Johnathan Small (ND) 6-1
- Stefan Lalovic / Pedro Platzeck (BSU) def. Nathan Griffin / Paul Gota (ND) 6-4
- Nathan Griffin / Paul Gota (ND) def. Santiago Sierra / Chase Stoner (UTAH) 6-2
- Joe Woolley / Randy Cory (UTAH) def. Daniel Rayl / Johnathan Small (ND) 6-4
- Jorge Nunez (DEN) / Kaleb Dobbs (UMN) def. Drew Dawson / Conor Somers (ND) 7-5
Joanne Norell, athletics communications assistant director at the University of Notre Dame, has been part of the Fighting Irish athletics communications team since 2014 and coordinates communications efforts for the Notre Dame men’s tennis, women’s tennis and fencing programs, in addition to overseeing production of the football Gameday Magazine. Norell is a 2011 graduate of Purdue University and earned her master’s degree from Georgetown University in 2013.