Nov. 7, 2017
By Robby Hamman
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Irish wrapped up the preseason portion of the 2017-18 schedule on Tuesday evening, defeating Cardinal Stritch by a final score of 90-46 inside Purcell Pavilion. Six players finished in double figures for Notre Dame, as the Irish were led by Bonzie Colson’s 19-point effort.
HOW IT HAPPENED
The Irish jumped out to a 15-point lead at 17-2 over the first eight minutes of play. Notre Dame increased its lead to 19 at the half, outscoring the Wolves 41-22 over the first 20 minutes of play. The Irish shot 50 percent from the floor in the first frame, going 14-for-28 from the field, including 4-of-10 from three-point range.
Notre Dame continued its dominance in the second half, going on a number of lopsided scoring runs before finishing the game with a 90-46 victory. The Irish racked up 12 assists on 20 made shots in the second stanza.
PLAYER OF THE GAME
The Colson show was on full display against Cardinal Stritch, as the senior filled up the stat sheet. The New Bedford, Massachusetts, native scored a team-high 19 points and led the Irish in rebounding with 14 boards. Colson also recorded four steals, three blocks and two assists in the win.
NOTRE DAME STAT OF THE GAME
The Irish outrebounded the Wolves 50-36. Colson led Notre Dame with 14 rebounds and John Mooney was second on the squad with seven.
NOTES OF THE GAME
- With the win, the Irish are 37-0 in exhibitions under Brey.
- Colson has now recorded a double-double in all three exhibition games this season.
- Martinas Geben finished in double figures for the third straight game with 10 points.
- Matt Farrell scored 10 points and led the Irish in assists with six.
- Rex Pflueger was second on the team in scoring with 17 points.
- T.J. Gibbs scored 14 points on 5-of-10 shooting while connecting on a team-high three shots from beyond the arc.
- D.J. Harvey finished with 10 points, his highest output of the preseason.
- The Irish recorded just one turnover in the second half and finished with only seven for the game.
Notre Dame opens the regular season against DePaul at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, Nov. 11 in Chicago. The game will air live on FS1.
— ND —
Robby Hamman joined Fighting Irish Media as athletics communications assistant director in September 2016, coordinating efforts for the volleyball and men’s lacrosse program. Hamman is a 2010 graduate of Bethel College, where he earned bachelor’s degrees in sport management and business administration, and earned his master’s degree in business administration from Defiance College in 2013.