Sept. 25, 2015
NOTRE DAME, Ind. – After four grueling weeks of non-conference tournament action, the University of Notre Dame volleyball team opens Atlantic Coast Conference play at Purcell Pavilion this weekend with showdowns against Louisville and No. 17 Florida State.
ACC Weekend #1 (Louisville / #17 Florida State)
Notre Dame, Indiana (Purcell Pavilion)
Sept. 25/27, 2015
Friday, Sept. 25
7 p.m.: Louisville @ Notre Dame – / WatchND
Marketing & Promotions: Hawaiian Night – the first 500 people in attendance will receive a tropical themed t-shirt … admission is free with an UMass football ticket.
Sunday, Sept. 27
1 p.m.: No. 17 Florida State @ Notre Dame – / ESPN3
Marketing & Promotions: Admission is free with an UMass football ticket.
Facebook: /NDVolleyball / Twitter: @NDVolleyball / Instagram: NDVBall
Snapchat: NDVolleyball / Text Alerts: Irish Alert! Text Messaging (Sign Up On UND.com)
Here are five things you need to know to be prepared for the ACC opening weekend.
- The Irish and the Cardinals are former BIG EAST rivals, with 14 of their 31 meetings coming in either conference regular season or postseason play … Notre Dame leads the all-time series 20-11 … two of the last three meetings have seen the Irish come from 2-0 down to win the match in five sets … ND and Louisville split last year’s meetings in the first matches as fellow ACC members … Cardinal setter Katie George entered her first-ever pageant in January and walked away as Miss Kentucky USA … she went on to finish in the top 11 at the Miss USA Pageant this summer.
- Florida State leads the series with Notre Dame, 5-2 … last year the Irish lost in three sets in Tallahassee, but the first set produced a wild 66 points, as FSU won the opening frame, 34-32 … Notre Dame is 0-3 in ACC play against the Seminoles … All-American Nicole Walch leads FSU with 159 kills (3.61 per set) this year.
- Irish sophomore middle blocker Sam Fry has been outstanding over the last seven matches, posting team highs in kills (97), kills per set (3.59), attack percentage (.270), blocks (34) and blocks per set (1.26) … for her efforts in West Lafayette, Indiana last weekend, the Cincinnati, Ohio product earned all-tournament team honors at the Purdue Boiler Box Challenge.
- After not playing a ranked team in any of the first eight matches of the year, Notre Dame will meet its third ranked opponent in its last six contests Sunday when it faces off with No. 17 Florida State.
- Once the match against Louisville gets underway Friday night, Irish head coach Jim McLaughlin will have officially coached in 800 collegiate matches … he has an all-time record of 584-215 for a win percentage of .731.
Individual match tickets for Notre Dame volleyball are on sale throughout the rest of the season. Visit und.com/tickets or call the Murnane Family Ticket Office at 574-631-7356 for more information.
For the latest Irish volleyball coverage, be sure to log on to UND.com or follow the program on Facebook (/NDVolleyball), Twitter (@NDVolleyball), Instagram (NDVBall) and Snapchat (NDVolleyball).
–Russell Dorn, Athletics Communications Assistant Director