NOTRE DAME, Ind. – The University of Notre Dame baseball team continues their current 11-game homestand with a weekend series against No. 14 NC State for the seventh- annual Strikeout ALS weekend at Frank Eck Stadium. The weekend supports the Pete Frates #3 Fund in honor of former Boston College baseball player Pete Frates. Frates served as captain for Boston College in Mik Aoki‘s first year as head coach of the Eagles.
|No. 14 NC State (32-10, 13-8 ACC) vs. Notre Dame (17-22, 10-11 ACC)|
|WHEN:||Friday, April 26 | 6:00 p.m. ET
Saturday, April 27 | 2:00 p.m. ET
Sunday, April 28 | 1:00 p.m. ET
|WHERE:||Notre Dame, Ind. | Frank Eck Stadium|
|WATCH:||ACC Network Extra - Friday
ACC Network Extra - Saturday
ACC Network Extra - Sunday
|TICKETS:||Free Admission All Weekend|
Annual Strikeout ALS Weekend Set for NC State Series
- The Irish will host their seventh annual Strikeout ALS weekend against the Wolfpack this weekend.
- The weekend supports the Pete Frates #3 Fund in honor of former Boston College baseball player Pete Frates. Frates served as captain for Boston College in Mik Aoki‘s first year as head coach of the Eagles.
- When Frates was diagnosed with ALS (amyotrophic laterals sclerosis or Lou Gehrig’s disease) in 2012, his crusade to educate the public and find a cure began. It took the nation by storm in 2014 with the Ice Bucket Challenge.
- Admission will be free to all three games and donations will be accepted to benefit the Pete Frates #3 Fund.
Know the Opponent: NC State
- The Irish and Wolfpack have traded series victories since Notre Dame joined in the ACC in 2014 and the trend continued last season with NC State winning two-of-three in Raleigh.
- In last season’s win over the No. 2 ranked Wolfpack, the Irish rallied from a five-run deficit.
- After trailing 7-2, the Irish scored six unanswered runs to take their first lead and then scored the final four runs after the game was even at 8-8.
- Eric Gilgenbach tied a career high with two home runs and the Irish hit five home runs as a team for the first time since 2015.
- In the last series at Frank Eck Stadium in 2017, the Irish won by scores of 4-1 and 2-1 before the Wolfpack took the series finale, 9-2.
- Notre Dame is 4-2 all-time against the Wolfpack at home.
Kavadas, Irish Pen Lead to Win Over Valparaiso
- The Irish kicked off their 11-game homestand with a come-from-behind 4-3 win over regional foe Valparaiso Tuesday night.
- After falling behind 3-0, the Irish scored the final four runs of the game to win.
- Niko Kavadas led the Irish at the plate, going 2-for-4 with one run and three RBI.
- It was the fifth game this season that Kavadas tallied three or more RBI.
- The Irish had a staff day and the bullpen as a whole pitched well after falling behind early.
- The allowed just three hits on the night and only one hit over the final 5.2 innings.
- Evan Tenuta picked up his first career win and Joe Boyle earned his second save of the season after two innings of scoreless relief.
- Boyle did not allow a hit in his appearance and struck out the side in the ninth inning.