April 6, 2014
RALEIGH, N.C. — The University of Notre Dame men’s tennis team found itself on the other side of another tough ACC match this afternoon, as the Irish fell 4-3 to North Carolina State on the road.
Like Friday’s match against Wake Forest, No. 12 Notre Dame found itself in a hole after losing the doubles point. Unlike Friday, the Irish were not able to fight their way back to a win.
“Give NC State a lot of credit,” said head coach Ryan Sachire. “This was another great college tennis match, and both teams played and competed well. They just happened to win a few more of the big points than we did, and that was the difference.”
In doubles, Ian Dempster and Robbie Mudge defeated senior Greg Andrews and sophomore Alex Lawson, 8-3. Freshman Josh Hagar and senior Billy Pecor defeated Sean Weber and Nick Horton at No. 2, 8-7(6). The doubles point came down to the match on court three, where Austin Powell and Simon Norenius defeated freshman Eddy Covalschi and sophomore Quentin Monaghan in a tiebreaker, 8-7(4).
The Irish were able to make a run at the match in singles. Despite Horton defeating sophomore Eric Schnurrenberger early at No. 6, 6-4, 6-4, putting the Wolfpack up 2-0, Notre Dame battled back. Covalschi defeated Weber at No. 5, 6-1, 6-4 and senior Ryan Bandy won his match at No. 3, 6-4, 6-4. Hagar also fell to Simon Norenius, 6-4, 7-5.
The match was all tied up at 3-3 after Andrews defeated Powell at No. 1 in three sets 6-4, 306, 6-2. The result rested on the match at court two, where Monaghan faced Mudge. After splitting sets, Mudge defeated Monaghan in the third, 6-4, 4-6, 6-4.
The Irish will play their last home matches of the season next weekend against ACC opponents Miami and Florida State, as well as Valparaiso.
“We are looking forward to coming back home and playing two more really good teams next weekend,” added Sachire.
1. #29 Greg Andrews (ND) def. #47 Austin Powell (NCSU) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
2. Robbie Mudge (NCSU) def. Quentin Monaghan (ND) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
3. Ryan Bandy (ND) def. Thomas Weigel (NCSU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Simon Norenius (NCSU) def. Josh Hagar (ND) 6-4, 7-5
5. Eddy Covalschi (ND) def. Sean Weber (NCSU) 6-1, 6-4
6. Nick Horton (NCSU) def. Eric Schnurrenberger (ND) 6-4, 6-4
1. #50 Ian Dempster/Robbie Mudge (NCSU) def. #7 Greg Andrews/Alex Lawson (ND) 8-3
2. Josh Hagar/Billy Pecor (ND) def. #36 Sean Weber/Nick Horton (NCSU) 8-7 (8-6)
3. Austin Powell/Simon Norenius (NCSU) def. Eddy Covalschi/Quentin Monaghan (ND) 8-7 (8-4)
–Lauren Chval, Media Relations Assistant