March 23, 2018
By Michael Scholl
DURHAM, North Carolina — The University of Notre Dame women’s tennis team dropped a 7-0 decision at fourth-ranked Duke on Friday night in Durham, North Carolina. The loss dropped the IRish to 10-5 and 2-3 in ACC play, while the Blue Devils improved to 13-1 and 5-0 in league action.
How It Happened
Meible Chi & Hannah Zhao won the first doubles match, 6-1, over Notre Dame’s Rachel Chong and Bess Waldram at court three. The Blue Devils then clinched the doubles point on court one, where Brooke Broda & Allison Miller fell to the nation’s fifth-ranked doubles pair, Samantha Harris & Kelly Chen, 6-1.
Chi made is 2-0 Duke with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Miller on court two before Kaitlyn McCarthy defeated Cameron Corse, 6-1, 6-1, on court three to make it 3-0. Duke clinched the match on court one, where Samantha Harris, who ranks seventh in the nation at singles, defeated Brooke Broda, 6-3, 6-1.
Zhao defeated Caroline Dunleavy at six (6-1, 6-3) and Chen won on court four over Zoe Spence (6-3, 6-4). Notre Dame’s best performance came on court five where Ally Bojczuk and Ellyse Hamlin (No. 73) traded 6-1 sets before Hamlin won the third, 6-3, to provide the final margin of 7-0.
- Bojczuk lost at singles for just the second time in 2018. She owns a 9-2 record during the dual season and a 16-3 record on the 2017-18 campaign.
- Chong & Waldram lost for just the second time as doubles partners this season, falling to 7-2.
#4 Duke University Women’s Tennis 7, Notre Dame 0
Mar 23, 2018 at Durham, N.C. (Ambler Tennis Stadium)
1. #7 Samantha Harris (DUKE) def. Brooke Broda (ND) 6-3, 6-1
2. #60 Meible Chi (DUKE) def. Allison Miller (ND) 6-0, 6-1
3. #69 Kaitlyn McCarthy (DUKE) def. Cameron Corse (ND) 6-1, 6-1
4. #29 Kelly Chen (DUKE) def. Zoe Spence (ND) 6-3, 6-4
5. #73 Ellyse Hamlin (DUKE) def. Ally Bojczuk (ND) 6-1, 1-6, 6-3
6. Hannah Zhao (DUKE) def. Caroline Dunleavy (ND) 6-1, 6-3
1. #5 Samantha Harris/Kelly Chen (DUKE) def. Brooke Broda/Allison Miller (ND) 6-1
2. #6 Ellyse Hamlin/Kaitlyn McCarthy (DUKE) def. Cameron Corse/Zoe Spence (ND) 6-1
3. Meible Chi/Hannah Zhao (DUKE) def. Rachel Chong/Bess Waldram (ND) 6-1
Order Of Finish
Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (2,3,1,6,4,5)
Notre Dame remains in the Triangle as they visit No. 14 Wake Forest on Sunday, March 25, in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The match begins at Noon ET. Click here to follow it live.
— ND —
Michael Scholl has been a member of the Fighting Irish Media communications staff at his alma mater since August 2016. He serves as the secondary contact for the Irish football and hockey teams while coordinating communications efforts for the women’s tennis program. Scholl has previously worked in communications at the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum, Providence College, Vanderbilt University and the University of Cincinnati. The South Bend, Indiana, native earned a degree in political science from the College of Arts and Letters in 2009.