May 27, 2001
Game 5 Notes
#1 Notre Dame vs. #2 UC Santa Barbara
May 27, 2001
- This is the first meeting in history between the two schools.
- This game featured six lead changes and five ties.
- All three games on Sunday were decided by a game-winning run in the final inning
Notre Dame Notes:
- With the win, Notre Dame ties the Irish record for most victories in a season with 48. Notre Dame won 48 games in both 1989 and 1992.
- With three more runs in the frame, Notre Dame has outscored its opponents 67-24 in the fourth inning this season.
- J.P. Gagne’s one-inning pitched was his shortest stint as a starting pitcher this season. Gagne’s line: 1.0 IP, 3 R, 3ER, 5H, 0K
- LF Kris Billmaier was 4-for-6 in the game, his first career four-hit game.
- After missing seven games with a bad back, Billmaier is 6-for-10 in the regional.
- Brian Stavisky’s five RBI against the Gauchos is a season- and career-high for the right fielder. Stavisky had 4 RBI against Fresno State (3/14) and Seton Hall (4/1) this season and against Georgetown (4/22/00) and Akron (3/17/00) last year.
- Brian Stavisky’s regional stats: 9-for-15, 21 total bases, nine RBI, 3 HR, 3 2B. He also has four home runs in the last five games.
- SS Alec Porzel moved into sole possesion of third place on the Notre Dame career hit list with 273.
- Porzel also is second on the all-time games played list with 237 passing Craig Counsell. Porzel can tie J.J. Brock’s all-time record of 238 tomorrow against Florida International.
- Steve Stanley’s five hits today give him 98 on the season, passing Eric Danapilis with 96 in 1993 for the third highest season hit total in ND history (Dan Peltier had 115 in 1989). Also, Stanley has 262 hits in his career, passing Peltier (257) for most career hits by a junior.
- Notre Dame tied a season high for hits with 20.
UC Santa Barbara Notes
- Brian Stavisky’s home run off Matt Vasquez was only the fourth home run Vasquez has given up in 67.2 innings this season.
- Ryan Spilborghs’ sacrifice bunt in the second inning brought his season total to 12, a school record.
- DH Mike Kolbach’s multi-hit, multi-RBI game was his fourth of the season and first such combination since April 21 at Sacramento State
- UCSB has not had a starting pitcher get out of the fifth inning in three regional games this weekend.
- Skip Schumaker and Dave Molidor each had their Big West-leading 32nd multi hit games of the season.
- Jeff Bannon has had at least three hits in all three regional games this weekend.
- Donovan Warrecker had his fourth three-hit game of year and his first since April 6.
- With a double in the eighth inning, Skip Schumaker recorded his 100th hit of the season tying the school record. That hit raises his season average to .400.
- Senior Mike Kolbach was 0-for-8 in the regional before this game. He was 3-for-3 with a walk against the Irish.
- Losing pitcher James Garcia made his second relief appearence of the season, marking the first time he has thrown on only one-day rest.
- This is the Gauchos’ best showing at NCAA Regionals since 1986.
- Ryan Spilborghs’ 35-game hitting streak ends after going 0-for-3.
- 18 hits is the most for the Gauchos since April 6.