WOODBURY, Minnesota — The University of Notre Dame women’s golf team closed out the 2019 Minnesota Invitational (Prestwick Golf Club par-72/ 6,297 yards) in 10th place. The Irish shot (296-298=594) as a team in the rain-shortened, 36-hole tournament, finishing at 18-over-par.
Sophomore Claire Albrecht tied her career best round with a 72, which she previously shot at last year’s Minnesota Invitational. Albrecht posted two birdies in her final round to finish even.
Freshman Lauren Beaudreau closed out the invitational tied for 25th place, including two second-round birdies. Albrecht and freshman Madelyn Jones tied for 30th, while junior Abby Heck, freshman Jessica Meyers (individual), and senior Mia Ayer finished in 46, T67, and 78, respectively.
Kentucky took home the 2019 tournament title while Georgia’s Caterina Don earned the individual crown.
|T25||Lauren Beaudreau (1)||73||74||147|
|T30||Madelyn Jones (3)||73||75||148|
|T30||Claire Albrecht (4)||76||72||148|
|T46||Abby Heck (2)||74||77||151|
|78||Mia Ayer (5)||78||82||160|
- The Fighting Irish will return to the course on Sept. 27-29 when they once again tee it up at the Schooner Fall Classic at the Belmar Golf Club in Norman, Oklahoma.
Notre Dame at the Minnesota Invitational
- It marks the third consecutive season the Irish are opening the year at the Minnesota Invitational.
- Last season, Notre Dame placed seventh (292-295-295=882) in a 15-team field.
- Then freshman Claire Albrecht paced the Irish, posting her best finish of the season in her first career event as she tied for 14th (75-72-72=219).
- At the 2017 Minnesota Invitational, then junior Isabella DiLisio’s final round 67 propelled the Irish to a tie for third (284-289-281=854) in the 14-team field. The 854 (-10) set the program record for a a par-72/54-hole tournament (in relation to par), while the final round 281 remains tied for the seventh-lowest round in the Irish records book.
- Current junior Abby Heck played in the last two Minnesota Invitationals, including an opening round 73 in 2018.
Career Best Rounds (most recent occurence listed)
- Claire Albrecht: 72 (second round of the 2018 Minnesota Invitational)
- Mia Ayer: 71 (third round of the 2018 Schooner Fall Classic)
- Abby Heck: 68 (first round of the 2019 Moon Golf Invitational)
— ND —