Notre Dame Fighting Irish - Official Athletics Website

#8 Men's Soccer Downs Georgetown 2-1 For Fourth-Straight Win

Sept. 28, 2003

Box Score

The University of Notre Dame men’s soccer team won its fourth-game in a row on Sunday, downing BIG EAST Conference opponent Georgetown (3-4-2, 1-3-0) 2-1 on a cold afternoon at Alumni Field. The Irish are now 6-1-2 on the season and 2-1-0 in BIG EAST competition.

Justin Detter and Devon Prescod scored for the Irish, who dominated possession for most of the game. Notre Dame jumped out in front when Detter knocked in a perfect cross from teammate Kevin Richards just under 28 minutes into the game.

Georgetown evened the score at 1-1 in the second half when Carl Skanderup launched a long shot from the left sidelines. A strong cross wind helped the ball fall into the top-right corner of the net, just out of the reach of Notre Dame goaltender Chris Sawyer.

Notre Dame got the game winner from Prescod, his third deciding goal of the season, 10 minutes later. Greg Martin sent a perfect lead pass down the right sideline to Chad Riley. Riley beat his defender and sent a cross into the heart of the Hoya defense. Prescod, who was almost on top of the goal line, easily headed in the cross for his fifth goal of the season.

Riley’s cross was the second key play the senior midfielder made in the game. On Notre Dame’s first goal, Riley caught the Hoya defense off balance with a quick start on a free kick. Richards picked up on the play, sprinted forward and was able to send a perfect cross into the middle for Detter.

The game turned physical late in the second half. Georgetown’s Dan Pydo and Kaiser Chowdhry were issued red cards within 30 seconds of each other after two hard tackles. The Hoyas were forced to play two men down for the final four minutes of the contest. There were 24 fouls called in the game, 14 of which were committed by Georgetown.

Notre Dame led the game in shots 16-7. Georgetown goalkeeper Tim Hogan made seven saves, including three solid efforts to rob the Irish of sure goals. Sawyer made three saves in the game and saw his scoreless minute streak end at 485 minutes and shut out streak end at four games.

The Irish wrap up their seven-match homestand which spanned the entire month of September with a 4-2-1 record. The face two road contests next week, traveling to Syracuse on Thursday, Oct. 2, and Pittsburgh on Sunday, Oct. 5.