DURHAM, N. C. — Opening a three match road trip in North Carolina, the No. 22 Irish of Notre Dame defeated North Carolina Central 5-0 Thursday afternoon.
The Irish clinched the doubles point with victories on courts one and two during their midweek matchup at North Carolina Central.
Grayson Broadus and Matt Gamble took their court, winning No. 1 doubles, 6-2 before Guillermo Cabrera and William Howells rang home a 6-3 victory on court two to clinch the first point of the match.
Guillermo Cabrera earned the first singles point for the Irish to go up 2-0 after he took court two in straight sets, 6-4 and 6-0.
Nate Griffin rallied next, splitting his first two sets with the Eagles, Griffin came back to win the third set 6-2 for another Irish tally.
The two teams decided to call the match final after Matt Gamble and Daniel Rayl won their third sets to give the Irish the 5-0 win. Gamble claimed the match clinching point as he came back from a close 5-7 loss in the first set to win the next two by 6-2 scores. Rayl finished just moments after, earning a 6-3 victory on court four for the fifth and final point of the afternoon matchup.
No. 22 Notre Dame heads across the road tomorrow afternoon as they face ACC rival Duke for a 5 p.m. serve.
#22 Notre Dame 5, N.C. Central 0
1. Matt Gamble (ND) def. CUCALON,Gabriel (NCCUM) 5-7, 6-2, 6-2
2. #112 Guillermo Cabrera (ND) def. BARAN,Amit (NCCUM) 6-4, 6-0
3. Nathan Griffin (ND) def. DAGKLIS,Christos (NCCUM) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
4. Daniel Rayl (ND) def. SPYROPOULOS,Thanos (NCCUM) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
5. BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCUM) vs. Johnathan Small (ND) 1-6, 0-3, unfinished
6. Paul Gota (ND) vs. JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCUM) no result
1. Grayson Broadus/Daniel Rayl (ND) def. CUCALON,Gabriel/BROMLEY,Sebastian (NCCUM) 6-2
2. Guillermo Cabrera/William Howells (ND) def. BARAN,Amit/JUEZ TORRES,Pablo (NCCUM) 6-3
3. SPYROPOULOS,Thanos/DAGKLIS,Christos (NCCUM) vs. Paul Gota/Johnathan Small (ND) 4-3, unfinished
Notre Dame 12-11; National ranking #22
N.C. Central 4-10
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,3,1,4)