Nov. 18, 2008
Patrick Augustyn finished last season as one of the top four men’s swimmers. At the BIG EAST Championships, he swam three season-best performances, including a fifth-place finish in the 200 Fly and a ninth-place finish in the 100 Fly. His performances earned him the team’s most improved swimmer honor at the end of the season.
1. Growing up swimming, I always pretended to be …
Michael Jordan, even though he isn’t a swimmer.
2. Do you have any nicknames?
Fat; Fatrick; Meathead
3. If you had your own energy drink, what would it be called?
4. What television show would you like to make a cameo on?
5. Do you have any pre-game rituals/superstitions?
I just stretch out a lot and talk to Mack LeBlanc and Coach Welsh to see what their plans are for the race and meet.
6. What is your most embarrassing moment in the pool?
When I was younger, I was dunking my cap in the water as another heat was going on and I ended up falling on top of the swimmer in my lane that was finishing.
7. If a movie was made about your life, what would the title be and who would play you?
It would be a comedy, called “Pat: A Legend” starring Denzel Washington.
8. What artist takes up most of your iPod/music player?
9. When you were little, who was your favorite cartoon character?
Pikachu or Machamp from the Pokemon cartoon.
10. Where do you want to be in 10 years?
I want to be working for an accounting firm, living day-by-day. I would like to be thin too.
11. What’s your worst habit?
Wearing the same clothes day after day or not changing my socks a lot, because I don’t have many.
12. What’s your theme song?
`Sooner or Later’ by N.E.R.D.
13. If you could trade places with Coach Welsh for a day, what would you do?
I would sleep in past 4:44 am and come to the pool. At the beginning of practice, I would have the team read the comic, `The Domepiece’ from The Observer. After that, I’d have everyone do a vertical kick and say “Stick `em up, Irish.”
14. When you were younger, what were you always getting in trouble for?
Swearing, or saying things at the wrong time.
15. What is your favorite memory with your Irish teammates?
Winning the BIG EAST Championship last year, and knowing we are champions.
16. Other than the Irish, what is your favorite sports team?
The Bears, the Bulls and the Cubs.
17. If you could have dinner with anyone, dead or alive, who would it be and why?
Tiger Woods and Michael Jordan, because they’re the two greatest athletes of all time.
18. Where is your favorite place at Notre Dame?
My room. I have a huge television and a fish tank.
19. Which has been the biggest meet or race of your career?
Swimming against USC last year or the BIG EAST championship meet because it was my first championship meet.
20. What does being part of the Fighting Irish mean to you?
It means I’m expected to be better than everyone else at academics, swimming and being a part of the community – all of which are equally important. It’s a great honor to have.