March 13, 2009
Sophomore Matt Scioscia has seen action in six games this season for the Irish. The Westlake Village, Calif., native has 22 putouts with a perfect fielding percentage behind the plate. As a freshman, Scioscia played in 16 games, batting .308 with four home runs and two RBI.
1. If you could be on any reality show, which would it be?
“I Love New York Season 2”
2. What’s the most notable thing about your hometown?
I’m from California, so we have the beach and the sun.
3. What song do you love to listen to but are embarrassed to admit it?
“Lucky” by Britney Spears
4. Do you have any pre-game rituals/superstitions?
I watch an episode of Friends before I head to the field.
5. What is your most embarrassing moment on the field?
There have been a lot of them, but one time I got taken down by a kid half my height. It was embarrassing because I initiated and he took me out.
6. What is the coolest thing you had in your bedroom growing up?
A baseball card of my dad, but it’s blown up like a portrait size picture.
7. Describe your perfect day- who would you spend it with, what would you do, where would you be?
I would spend it with my girlfriend, and we would go to the beach. Then we would come back and watch movies, swim in the pool, and then go out to eat.
8. Where is your favorite place at Notre Dame?
Other than my dorm, I like to walk to the Grotto.
9. Do you have any nicknames?
A lot of the guys call me Scios.
10. Where do you want to be in 10 years?
I want to have a family, live life, and hopefully something along the lines of baseball.
11. What’s your worst habit?
I bite my nails a little bit, but my worst habit would be staying up too late.
12. Which has been the biggest game of your career?
In high school we had a CIF semi-final game in baseball and a CIF championship in football.
13. If you could travel anywhere, where would you go and why?
I would go to Italy because it’s awesome.
14. What is your cell-phone ring right now?
“Johnny and June” by Heidi Newfield
15. Where is the greatest place your sport has taken you?
Over the summer we went to Wichita for summer ball championships, and I also went to the Junior Olympics for baseball in Arizona when I was in high school.
16. If you could trade places with Coach Schrage for a day, what would you do?
I would cancel conditioning and go out to the movies.
17. When you were little, who was your favorite cartoon character?
18. If a movie was made about your life, what would the title be and who would play you?
The title would be “Behind the Scenes: The Matt Scioscia Story” and Will Ferrell would play me because he is a goofy guy.
19. What’s your theme song?
The theme from “Top Gun”
20. What does being part of the Fighting Irish mean to you?
It’s awesome to represent such a great school. It’s about respecting tradition and family, and being part of something bigger than yourself.