Feb. 25, 2018
NOTRE DAME, Ind. — Playing a top-20 team for the fourth time in five matches, the No. 17 Notre Dame men’s tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision to third-ranked Ohio State on Sunday afternoon.
The Irish (7-5) battled the Buckeyes (10-1) to the very end. At doubles, Ohio State needed a 6-4 win at one to clinch the point, with the Irish leading in an unfinished match at three after the Buckeyes won at two doubles. At sinlges, two matches went three sets, while an OSU victory at one singles came by a score of 7-5, 7-6 (7-4).
How It Happened
Ohio State took the first doubles match of the day on court two, as Matt Mendez and Hunter Tubert defeated Richard Ciamarra and Matt Gamble, 6-2. The Buckeyes clinched the doubles point with a tightly-contested 6-4 win at one doubles, with Mikael Torpegaard and Martin Joyce taking a 6-4 decision over Brendon Kempin and Tristan McCormick. The Irish duo of Guillermo Cabrera and Alex Lebedev held a 6-5 lead over OSU’s John McNally and JJ Wolf at three doubles when the point was clinched.
The Buckeyes jumped out to a 3-0 lead with quick victories on courts four and three. At four, Martin Joyce defeated Tristan McCormick, 6-1, 6-3, while OSU’s John McNally beat Guillermo Cabrera, 6-1, 6-4, at three.
The Irish got on the scoreboard at five singles, where Matt Gamble scored a straight-set win over Kyle Seelig, 6-3, 6-4. Ohio State then secured the clinching point with a 7-5, 7-6 (7-4) win at one singles by Mikael Torpegaard over Alex Lebedev.
The two remaining matches were both in third sets as OSU clinched the match. On court six, William Howells score the second point for the Irish, winning in three sets, 6-4, 4-6, 7-5, while at two singles, OSU’s JJ Wolf defeated Richard Ciamarra in three (4-6, 6-4, 7-5) to provide the final margin.
No. 3 Ohio State 5, No. 17 Notre Dame 2
Sunday, Feb. 25
Notre Dame, IN
Eck Tennis Pavilion
1. Mikael Torpegaard (OSU) def. Alex Lebedev (ND) 7-5, 7-6 (7-4)
2. JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Richard Ciamarra (ND) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. John McNally (OSU) def. Guillermo Cabrera (ND) 6-1, 6-4
4. Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Tristan McCormick (ND) 6-1, 6-3
5. Matt Gamble (ND) def. Kyle Seelig (OSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. William Howells (ND) def. Alex Kobelt (OSU) 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
1. Mikael Torpegaard/Martin Joyce (OSU) def. Brendon Kempin/Tristan McCormick (ND) 6-4
2. Matt Mendez/Hunter Tubert (OSU) def. Richard Ciamarra/Matt Gamble (ND) 6-2
3. Guillermo Cabrera/Alex Lebedev (ND) vs. John McNally/JJ Wolf (OSU) 6-5, unfinished
Order of Finish
Doubles: 2,1; Singles: 4,3,5,1,6,2
— ND —