NOTRE DAME, Ind. — The Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team opens its 2019 campaign on Friday (Feb. 8) on the road against Marquette at 2 p.m. local time/3 p.m. ET.
THE SERIES vs. MARQUETTE
- This marks the 7th game between the Irish and the Golden Eagles with Notre Dame holding a perfect 6-0 mark all-time against Marquette.
- Notre Dame earned a 15-10 victory over Marquette the last time these teams met on Feb. 28, 2018 at Arlotta Stadium on the campus of the University of Notre Dame.
- Andie Aldave led the Irish with five goals and 10 draw controls in that win.
- Samantha Giacolone recorded 12 saves to earn the victory in goal for Notre Dame.
- The Irish are 2-0 when facing Marquette on the road, including a 17-9 win the last time they squared off in Milwaukee on March 28, 2016.
- Nikki Ortega netted a hat trick in that road win while Samantha Giacolone stopped eight shots in goal for the Irish.
- Notre Dame owns a 5-2 record in season openers under head coach Christine Halfpenny and is 18-4 all-time in the first game of the season.
- Seniors Jenn Casadonte and Hannah Proctor and junior Savannah Buchanan will captain the Notre Dame women’s lacrosse team in 2019.
- Notre Dame is No. 20 in the Inside Women’s Lacrosse Coaches Association (IWLCA) preseason poll and receiving votes in the Inside Lacrosse/Cascade Media preseason poll.
- The Irish are one of seven ACC teams ranked in the IWLCA preseason poll.
- Senior defender Hannah Proctor was named a Preseason Honorable Mention All-American by Inside Lacrosse ahead of the 2019 campaign.
- Junior midfielder Savannah Buchanan and sophomore attacker Maddie Howe were each named to the 2019 Preseason All-ACC Team, the conference announced on Wednesday (Feb. 6)
- Senior goalkeeper Samantha Giacolone enters the 2019 season ranked third in program history in wins (33), goals-against average (9.82) and minutes played (3,226) in addition to fourth all-time with 467 saves.
- In 2018, midfielder Andie Aldave set a single-season Irish record with 98 draw controls while midfielder Savannah Buchanan’s 67 draw controls were tied for the third most in a single season.
- Last season, Aldave and attacker Maddie Howe became the first freshman duo in Irish history to each score 30+ goals.
- Following Friday’s contest, the Irish return to action on Sunday, Feb 10 at 1 p.m. for their home opener vs. Canisius. That contest will be held inside Loftus Sports Center.